| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Back to Montreal https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7954 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Back to Montreal |
Where it was the last steam locomotive built at CPR's Angus Shops. One of (I think) 101 G5 Pacifics built for CPR. At one time all six remaining G5s were operable, now only the 1293 at Ohio Central is. The 1201 here was converted to burn No. 2 fuel oil when rebuilt in Ottawa in the 1980s. Will it steam again? the Angus Shops site, incidently, has been mostly leveled for new housing, but I think Cirque de Soliel uses one of the old buildings. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=28191 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | John Stewart [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | 1201 - was Re: Back to Montreal |
Bob; 1201 was indeed the last locomotibe built BY the CPR in (IIRC) June 1944. Of course, others were built FOR the CPR after that date - the rest of the G5 series, for example. 1201 was rebuilt by the "Ontario Rail Association" in the John Street Roundhouse in Toronto. As a teen, I used to go there and "help"; I was even invited to the first steaming of 1201. I had to stick to a CPR police officer like glue, though. Will she steam again? When the political climate is right, yes. She is stored indoors, in a heated room. Other than a split siphon on the main gauge, you *could* fire her and run her tomorrow. (regulations not withstanding). Yes, she needs running gear work, full boiler inspection, etc, etc. John Stewart Ottawa, Canada. > Where it was the last steam locomotive built > at CPR's Angus Shops. One of (I think) 101 > G5 Pacifics built for CPR. At one time all > six remaining G5s were operable, now only > the 1293 at Ohio Central is. The 1201 here > was converted to burn No. 2 fuel oil when > rebuilt in Ottawa in the 1980s. Will it > steam again? the Angus Shops site, > incidently, has been mostly leveled for new > housing, but I think Cirque de Soliel uses > one of the old buildings. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|