Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Owenyo, 3/10/58
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8033
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:15 am ]
Post subject:  Owenyo, 3/10/58

On the SP narrow gauge. Not sure what is going on here, but it appears diesel No. 1 is on the other end of the train. No. 9 was not normally used at this time, but I think was still considered operable. I don't think there is much left at Owenyo today, but I think Keeler looks pretty much the same, sans rails.

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3796&papass=&sort=1&thecat=571
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  John West [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Owenyo, 3/10/58

No. 9 would indeed run again. Last used in August 1959 while the diesel was at Bakersfield shops for work. Last run of SP ng. (with the diesel) was April 29, 1960.

Author:  Brian Norden [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Owenyo, 3/10/58

> On the SP narrow gauge. Not sure what is
> going on here, but it appears diesel No. 1
> is on the other end of the train. No. 9 was
> not normally used at this time, but I think
> was still considered operable. I don't think
> there is much left at Owenyo today, but I
> think Keeler looks pretty much the same,
> sans rails.

Today Owenyo is nothing but a scrape in the sand, some foundations and some dried red paint where they did the car work. If you don't know where it is you would drive right past it on the dirt road.

Keeler, has had year round residents for years and the location of the railroad through the center of the townsite can readily be seen. The post office faces on a road that is next to the old r/w. But the town is so small that everyone has to vote by absentee ballot -- it is too small for the county to set up a voting site.

Brian Norden

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/