| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Reader 11 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8034 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Reader 11 |
Unknown date, but when they were still hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early '60s. http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2560&papass=&sort=1&thecat=571 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Alan Maples [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
> Unknown date, but when they were still > hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early > '60s. I may be wrong (I wasn't there), but I think no. 11 got the large tender rather late in its (Reader) life. Alan Maples AMaples@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Glen Brewer [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
The date was February 5, 1964. I was the only passenger that day. gbrewer@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Alan Maples [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
> The date was February 5, 1964. I was the > only passenger that day. Thanks for clarifying. It's a neat photo of a railroad I wish I had seen. AMaples@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Glen Brewer [ Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
Thanks, Alan. I rode it many times and even managed a cab ride in all three engines. All you had to do was sign a waiver and you could ride the locomotive. gbrewer@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Jim Templin [ Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
> Unknown date, but when they were still > hauling freight, probably late 1950s, early > '60s. Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she still in storage somewhere in Kentucky? |
|
| Author: | John Craft [ Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 |
> Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she > still in storage somewhere in Kentucky? She's been idle at the TTI yard in Paris, KY, since the $200 Million insurance requirement was imposed in 1994. I seem to recall there was an effort to move the engine to the Kentucky Railway Museum a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if there's still interest. JAC |
|
| Author: | Greg Scholl [ Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Reader 11 *PIC* |
> Whats the story on the 11 right now? Is she > still in storage somewhere in Kentucky? Still in Paris, Ky from what I know. I had the pleasure of riding this line in the summer of 1963 behind #11, en route to Mexico. Seeing it from 1989-93 in service between Paris and Maysville was an added treat. I think she last ran in the fall of 1993, on one of the same weekends the 765(2765) was running on the C&O. Image below is #11 on its first Santa Train in 1989. Greg Scholl Videos ![]() sales@gregschollvideo.com |
|
| Author: | Jim Robinson [ Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Reader 11 tender |
> I may be wrong (I wasn't there), but I think > no. 11 got the large tender rather late in > its (Reader) life. I think 11's larger tender came after her original one got wacked by a truck in a bad grade crossing accident. Regards, Jim Robinson |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|