It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: keeping up equipment batteries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:24 pm 

At SCRM, we've got a problem that I suspect other organizations have. Much of our MOW equipment uses a conventional automotive-style 12VDC electrical system. Unfortunately, we don't use the stuff often enough to keep the batteries up. As a result, the batteries go bad from just sitting.

Our Chief Mechanic's solution has been to have a couple batteries and swap them around between equipment. This keeps the batteries in OK shape, but it's a pain (not to mention a delay) having to lug a battery over to the machine and hook it up before trying to crank the thing. And if you want to use more than one or two pieces of equipment at a time, it also means you have to "borrow" batteries from elsewhere -- usually volunteers' personal automobiles.

My idea is to hook up solar trickle chargers to the machine's electrical systems. I found one online for around $30 including shipping. These things are designed to sit on you car's dash board and plug into the cigarette lighter socket. I'm planning to try it on our Switchmaster when it arrives. Naturally, I'll have to hard-wire it since few MOW machines have cigarette lighters!

I've also found a more expensive model that connects directly to the battery that is designed for boats. Since that one's over $100 I'm going to try the cheap one first.

Anyone else tried this? Any ideas/warnings?

The South Carolina Railroad Museum
scrmcurator@netzero.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: