Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Train yard ruins
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8074
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Shaun O'Boyle [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Train yard ruins

I've become interested in photographing some rail subjects that relate to some of the industrial subjects I have photographed. I did a brief shoot last week of some abandon railcars and engines in my area, linked here.

http://www.oboylephoto.com/trainyard

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum might have heard of any similar sites in the New England area that one can access to photograph. Cars, round houses, engines would all be of interest. The older and more decrepit the better.
It does indeed related to the other site I have been photographing for many years and I have wanted to explore the rail aspect of industrial sites for some time.
Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.
Shaun

Modern Ruins
so@oboylephoto.com

Author:  74volts [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

Hi Shaun,

I spent an afternoon in Carbondale, PA last fall. You can see my pictures on the Webshots site. Just type "74volts" into the Find User box. There are both industrial and railroad ruins at the same place.

Mike

mkvolts@74.com

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

There is an abandoned roundhouse at East Binghamton, NY, also others at West Lebanon, and Bartlett, NH. I'm not sure if the B&M shops at N. Billerica, MA still are standing or not, but they were probably closer in size to what you're looking for. The former D&H shop complex at Watervliet, NY lies empty and abandoned as well.

http://www.rrshs.org/Struct.index/strucindex.htm
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Shaun O'Boyle [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

The Train Yard photographs I linked were taken in Watervliet, NY. Can you tell me more about the D&H shop complex, those abandon cars and engines I shot were the only ones I was aware of, but perhaps there is more in the area. Having been my first visit to the area, I did do much exploring.

> There is an abandoned roundhouse at East
> Binghamton, NY, also others at West Lebanon,
> and Bartlett, NH. I'm not sure if the
> B&M shops at N. Billerica, MA still are
> standing or not, but they were probably
> closer in size to what you're looking for.
> The former D&H shop complex at
> Watervliet, NY lies empty and abandoned as
> well.


Modern Ruins
so@oboylephoto.com

Author:  Mark Hendrickson [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

>Very good images. Does anyone have info on these pieces of equipment. The engine lettered APR is from the Albany Port Railroad. Looks like lot's of Alco's are stored there.


downdrikson@bright.net

Author:  Shaun O'Boyle [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

The top photo in this link here may show the B&M engine over 20 years ago. In my photographs the number is missing, so on a return trip I will see if I can positivly identify it as the B&M 1547.

www.bridge-line.org/blhs/rs3.html#photos

and my photos

www.oboylephoto.com/trainyard/trainyard2.htm

Modern Ruins
so@oboylephoto.com

Author:  Richard [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

At the risk of starting a classic flame war (Eric, I hear you), all of the locomotives in the "railroad ruins" collection supposed to be preserved! I am particularly distressed to see the ex-LIRR FA unit in such condition, although I realize it is not nearly alone as such. I think there is a subtle lesson in this regarding the best efforts of preservationists. It's no wonder that idle kids, some indigent homeless, and vandals see these type of structure as targets of opportunity for "action".
Now in saying this, I am not taking the owners of this particular equipment to the pillory. I can think of probably 50 other examples without breaking a sweat. I am remarking that when historically important railroad equipment is stored in such shape, without paint, without any appearence of being cared for or maintained in its stored state, it is viewed by the public as abandoned eyesores, worthy of nowing more than destruction.
Or am I wrong?

glueck@maine.edu

Author:  Stephen Hussar [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

> I will see if I can positivly
> identify it as the B&M 1547.

I faintly see "1547" spray painted to the right of the B&M logo in the close-up of the cab.

Beautiful pictures on your site by the way, Shaun, especially of Bannermans. Did you go into the voodoo room? Pretty spooky.



SJHussar@aol.com

Author:  James Hefner [ Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

Shaun,

I can't help you in your quest, but I did want to thank you for your awesome photography. Your pictures of Witte's Marine boatyard in "The Boatyard" left me wondering where in the world you photographed them; and was one of the main inspirations for my "Surviving World Steamship" Project.

Roughly three years later, I can now tell you the identity of many of the vessels in the your pictures, and have referred dozens to your website; of which at least one has bought your book. Keep up the great work.

On a somewhat similiar note, Larry Tucker sent me some pictures he took of the Solvey Coke Plant site in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I added some more of them to the Photo Gallery below, bringing the total at this point to 73. He sent me yet another CD-ROM last week, and I will add twenty or so more in the days to come.

There are no definite plans in place, but the developer is interested in preserving both the compressor house and the boilerhouse. The remainder of the plant site is coming down fast; I believe most of the railcar remains visible in his pictures from two months ago are gone now.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

> I've become interested in photographing some
> rail subjects that relate to some of the
> industrial subjects I have photographed. I
> did a brief shoot last week of some abandon
> railcars and engines in my area, linked
> here.

> http://www.oboylephoto.com/trainyard

> I'm wondering if anyone on this forum might
> have heard of any similar sites in the New
> England area that one can access to
> photograph. Cars, round houses, engines
> would all be of interest. The older and more
> decrepit the better.
> It does indeed related to the other site I
> have been photographing for many years and I
> have wanted to explore the rail aspect of
> industrial sites for some time.
> Any suggestions you might have would be
> appreciated.
> Shaun


Solvay Coke Plant, Milwaukee, WI
james@survivingworldsteam.com

Author:  Garin Wiss [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Train yard ruins

> I've become interested in photographing some
> rail subjects that relate to some of the
> industrial subjects I have photographed. I
> did a brief shoot last week of some abandon
> railcars and engines in my area, linked
> here.

> http://www.oboylephoto.com/trainyard

> I'm wondering if anyone on this forum might
> have heard of any similar sites in the New
> England area that one can access to
> photograph. Cars, round houses, engines
> would all be of interest. The older and more
> decrepit the better.
> It does indeed related to the other site I
> have been photographing for many years and I
> have wanted to explore the rail aspect of
> industrial sites for some time.
> Any suggestions you might have would be
> appreciated.
> Shaun

Loved your photos. Thanks !!

While it's a poke from New England, there is a "dead" line at Cass WVa that has some very interesting old and decaying railroad equipment that might be worth your time. They also have some very interesting working Shay logging engines that are worth riding and photographing.


garin@nacs.net

Author:  Stephen Hussar [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Whalom Park

Shaun, if you're interested in an abandoned amusement park while in New England, defunct Whalom Park has been closed for almost 4 years now and would seemingly make an excellent subject for you. Located in Leominster, MA and looking quite finished.

While you're in the area you could check out the Boston & Maine roundhouse in nearby Fitchburg...if it's still standing.


SJHussar@aol.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/