Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

PA Railroad Museum
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8075
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jeff Wienand [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  PA Railroad Museum

I went by the PA railroad museum today and I see that there is a differant display outside.There is new little fenced in area along 741 with #3750 and #6755 and down further sits #520 and #460.Is there a reason the engines are being displayed outside?I remember seeing 3750 and 460 inside for along time.The set-up outside looks great,was just wondering why this was being done.

steamtrain90@aol.com

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: PA Railroad Museum

PRR 3750, 460 and 520 were moved outside in 2002-2003 for asbestos abatement work. Since the Rolling Stock Hall was rearranged in mid-2003 to reflect changing interpretive themes and to allow quick access to equipment for special projects, it was decided to keep the PRR steam locos outside for the time being (mainly for space reasons). The engines received special protective paint so they should withstand the weather indefinitely. I must say that the 6755 and 3750 look rather impressive so close to the road!

> I went by the PA railroad museum today and I
> see that there is a differant display
> outside.There is new little fenced in area
> along 741 with #3750 and #6755 and down
> further sits #520 and #460.Is there a reason
> the engines are being displayed outside?I
> remember seeing 3750 and 460 inside for
> along time.The set-up outside looks
> great,was just wondering why this was being
> done.

Author:  Steve Gilbert [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Protective Paint

> The engines received

- - - special protective paint - - -

> so they should withstand
> the weather indefinitely.

Please elaborate.

Author:  Mike LaBouliere [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Protective Paint

I'm guessing they were painted with Imron or something like it. Imron is a type of paint that has plastic in it. It holds up sustantially longer that regular paint. It is typically used on aircraft but many prservation groups use it or other paints just like it.

Author:  Steve Gilbert [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  No Guessing. Hello Kurt.

> I'm guessing they were painted with Imron or
> something like it. Imron is a type of paint
> that has plastic in it. It holds up
> sustantially longer that regular paint. It
> is typically used on aircraft but many
> prservation groups use it or other paints
> just like it.

I know what Imron is.

My question is: what did they use ?

Author:  David Dewey [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:53 am ]
Post subject:  Not a "Forever" paint *PIC*

Contrary to popular belief, none of these "Paints" are a "forever" finish. UV and weather take their toll. 10-15 years is average. Also, steamers have lots of exposed bearing surfaces that need to be kept from moisture and rust. Outside display is never kind to the machinery.
S'
David Dewey


Image
djdewey@cncnet.com

Author:  K.R. Bell [ Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: No Guessing. Hello Kurt.

I wasn't involved in the repainting, and I'm not a mechanical type, so I just made a general statement to avoid being in error--I believe it was a rust-inhibitive type of paint. I won't speculate further. If you really want to know, contact our Restoration Manager, Allan Martin, at RRMPA.

> I know what Imron is.

> My question is: what did they use ?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/