It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: BM&R # 425
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:20 pm 

What is the latest new's on this engine,,I know that she has not run in a few year's,,,is she in the enginehouse with Reading # 2102..

thank you Pat

CPRH1b@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Yep, still in the enginehouse. *NM*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:21 pm 

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BM&R # 425
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:49 pm 

Actually, I think it was reported that slow, but sure, work was started on "four and a quarter" this year and the pictures of this engine from the R&N open house looked to be in a a different shop then one built for her and the 2102.

Joshua


  
 
 Post subject: Nope.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:17 pm 

425 was separated from her tender and moved from the steam enginehouse to the "car-shop" (the barn where the welders work during bad weather) during 2002. The jacketing and appliances were removed, to access the boiler for inspection. Some of our veteran steam crew and welders were doing this work, along with help from guys from New Hope.
In fact Richard Carter (from New Hope) made and installed new steel throttle valves a few years ago, when 425 was still sitting beside 2102.

The work has been "on pause" for about a year, but the project is not cancelled. From what I was told, when the "play" button is pushed again, one of the next steps will be to remove the cab.

Check out the pictures in the link below (I hope I did that right!) from Jim Evans, at our open house in Sept. '03. Nothing has changed since then.

Steve Gilbert
From the metropolis of Port Clinton, where the thermometer at the dispatcher's window is 4.

http://jrevans.fbody.com/reading_northern_2003_open_house/


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nope.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:22 am 

Thanks for the updated, "inside" information on the 425.

> Check out the pictures in the link below (I
> hope I did that right!) from Jim Evans, at
> our open house in Sept. '03. Nothing has
> changed since then.

Yup, you posted it correctly. Thanks for the plug. :-)

> Steve Gilbert

Jim Evans

> From the metropolis of Port Clinton, where
> the thermometer at the dispatcher's window
> is 4.

About the same temperature down south here in Sellersville, PA.

Jim's train pages
jrevans@accuREMOVEsort.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BM&R # 425
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:49 am 

> Actually, I think it was reported that slow,
> but sure, work was started on "four and
> a quarter" this year and the pictures
> of this engine from the R&N open house
> looked to be in a a different shop then one
> built for her and the 2102.

> Joshua
Thank you all for the information on BM&R #425 & Reading #2102 thanks again Pat


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BM&R # 425
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:50 pm 

> Actually, I think it was reported that slow,
> but sure, work was started on "four and
> a quarter" this year and the pictures
> of this engine from the R&N open house
> looked to be in a a different shop then one
> built for her and the 2102.

> Joshua

Joshua, 425 is in the "Car Barn" a seperate building from the "square roundhouse" built for 425 and 2102. I could only speculate as to why she was moved there, but it may have something to do with being closer to HQ and the diesel shops than the "round"house is.

mrwowak@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: BM&R # 425
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:43 am 

> Joshua, 425 is in the "Car Barn" a
> seperate building from the "square
> roundhouse" built for 425 and 2102. I
> could only speculate as to why she was moved
> there, but it may have something to do with
> being closer to HQ and the diesel shops than
> the "round"house is.

From talking with one of the many excellent R&N employees at the open house this year, I learned something interesting. I noticed a large generator in the small building by the turntable. When I asked the employee, he said that there was no electricity on that side of the road. So, closer to HQ and full time electricity. :-)

p.s. - Somebody please buy the 2100, rip out the oil burners and bring it down to Port Clinton.

Jim's train pages
jrevans@accuREMOVEsort.com


  
 
 Post subject: GN 2584
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:43 pm 

Taken last summer at Havre, Montana.


http://abpr2.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?august03/08-10-03/GN2584LeftFront-13Jul03.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: