It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 2-4-0s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:28 am 

Also note that some saddletankers can be rebuilt into nice looking 2-4-0s, such as the narrow gauge example below. As such, they are more or less revisionary history, but better than scrap and cute besides.

http://timlinux.goshen.edu/pn/modules.php?set_albumName=miscparktrains&id=Slide059_002&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Questions for the IRM folks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:52 pm 

> 1. Of the entire steam collection, how and
> why was the Frisco decapod chosen as the
> "daily runner"?

I believe the reason is simply that 1630 was the first large steam engine IRM acquired, back in 1967. At the time, the Shay was already running, and I believe that Tuskeegee 101 was also in operation; but the Museum wanted a large, mainline locomotive in operation and 1630 fit the bill. It was made operational in the early 1970's and has operated since then. At the time it may have seemed like overkill (I think IRM's line back then was about 1.5 miles long) but since then the 1630 has been a consistent, popular and useful runner.

> 2. How did the J. Neils Lumber Co. Shay come
> to the IRM? I've only had the privilege to
> visit the museum once, and I was fascinated
> that a Montana mountain logger found its way
> to the flatlands of north central Illinois.

I'm not sure how it got to IRM physically - I would guess by flatcar, but I'm not sure - but I believe the locomotive was owned by Elliott Donnelly before IRM. As far as I know, it was donated to the Museum by him. Shay 5 was the first steam engine to operate at IRM.

Frank Hicks

Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars
F-Hicks@wiu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: 1951 flood engines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:55 pm 

In the link below, three steam locomotives lie in the mud of the Kansas (Kaw) River, to one side (the right, I think) of the black line that is the Santa Fe bridge. Two 2-8-2s and one 2-6-2 were lost when the river flooded badly in 1951, taking out one section. Dead engines had been placed on the bridge to try to save it. About 1956, workers from the nearby shops were sent into the nearly dry river bed to cut off what still stuck up above the river bottom, but one of the 2-8-2s did not protrude and was not found. Presumably, it still lies there, intact, the only Santa Fe Mikado extant.

Now that there are various modern devices for locating objects under water and underground, what would be best to find it with? What kind of image would it produce?


http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?S=11&T=1&X=674&Y=10816&Z=15&W=2
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: