It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Longest tourist railroad?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:14 am 

> Just to keep it light on this board, I've
> got a question for you knowledgeable types
> out there.

> I was at a luncheon today with the local
> chamber of commerce. Representing the only
> tourist railroad in the area, I often get
> asked questions about our business. A
> gentleman inquired as to whether I knew what
> and where was the longest tourist railroad
> in the U.S. This would be exclusively a
> tourist hauler, no freight service, e.g.
> Ohio Central.

> Most of the tourist lines I know of are
> short ones, including ours (7 miles of
> track).The ones that came to my mind were
> the Durango and Silverton and the Cumbres
> and Toltec. If you want to differentiate
> between narrow and standard gauge, OK. Any
> help on this one?

> Thanks,

I've got to believe that when the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic fully opens their extention to Canton that they would be a contender for longest standard gauge tourist line, at least East of the Mississippi. It's probably about 60 miles from Rockside Rd., Independence to Canton.
> Jack


pww57@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Longtime question answered
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:48 am 

I was at the Black Hills Central shortly after high school graduation in 1964, and I've always remembered seeing two Shays there. I knew one was the narrow gauge Oregon Lumber engine now at Hesston, Indiana, but couldn't figure out the other one until this thread. It was the J. Neils 5, now at IRM. It must have only been at Hill City briefly before moving to Illinois. A longtime question answered - what would we do without the internet?

http://www.hesston.org/Hesston_Web/shay.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Pueblo trolley project?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:44 am 

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a project to reinstate a historic trolley line at Pueblo, Colorado. Anyone know more about it?

Pueblo trolley
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Bethlehem Museum of Indust. History in trouble
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:08 pm 

Doesn't sound good according to this AP story...


Bethlehem Steel museum project stalled
eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: