It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sharp looking Black Five
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:58 pm 

On display at the Crewe Works in May of last year.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?june03/06-09-03/114_1416_RT8_45157.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sharp looking Black Five
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:33 pm 

Mostly hidden on the left is one of the two units used for the Royal Train. I was in the UK at this time and had I known earlier about this event I would have gone there. There was also a Doncaster event this year (LNER's base). Crewe is of course the base for the LMS, the original owner of this Black 5.

I did see LMS #6201 in Euston about a week after this event so it partially made up for missing Crewe.

Joshua


  
 
 Post subject: Best looking 10-wheelers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:10 pm 

I have to share my grwoing interest in these. I think Black Fives and the CPR D-10's with lowered headlight are my all-time favorite 4-6-0's... based on looks alone.

Of course, I'd be remiss not to mention a NYC F12e in that...

Rob


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best looking 10-wheelers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:47 pm 

> I have to share my grwoing interest in
> these. I think Black Fives and the CPR
> D-10's with lowered headlight are my
> all-time favorite 4-6-0's... based on looks
> alone.

> Of course, I'd be remiss not to mention a
> NYC F12e in that...

> Rob

I've always liked the looks of the Frisco's heavy 1400 class Ten-Wheelers.

Les


midlandblb@cs.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best looking 10-wheelers *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:15 am 

I'd have to cast my vote for C&NW's R-1 class...


Image
bowens@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best looking 10-wheelers *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:25 am 

Don't forget the husky look of the PRR/LIRR G5s. Personally I like the LIRR ones better with the larger tenders that compliment the locomotive.

Roger


Image
belpaire@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best looking 10-wheelers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:23 pm 

You are absolutely right, Roger, but put her in the pre-war paint scheme, with box somkebox door and graphited smokebox, along with red and gold circular number plate! These were the prettiest 4-6-0's ever built, in my humble opinion.


glueck@maine.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Copies of ICC Valuations Engineering notes?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:52 pm 

For those unable to travel to College Park, MD, how does one obtain copies of ICC engineering field notes for a particular railroad location?
I have been unable to surmise the process from the various websites.


Guide to Railroad Records at National Archives


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: