| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| boiler studs https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8195 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Handsome Devil [ Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | boiler studs |
I have a question regaring removing boiler studs. In the past I have just heated the shell of the boiler and wrenched them out. Usually they come out and no damage to the threads and the hole is reusable. Knowing a little bit about heat treating and a fair amount about welding (code and non code welding}I feel there is no danger in this method. After all the heat from welding is much more intense then heating up with a torch. So the question is, "is this way of removing studs acceptable or not". I do not quench the shell with water or anything. I would appreciate and knowledgable comments from experienced boiler people. Thanks, John springfield@tds.net |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|