It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:31 pm 

I am reading the Winter 2003 issue of the "Bluebell News: Journal of the Bluebell Railway" in the UK. There is a photo of a two story building under construction on page 29 identified as the "new bookshop at Sheffield Park." Scaling the dimensions from a man standing in the photo, I am guessing this is a 2,000 sq. ft. bookshop.

Where are the best bookshops at preserved railways in the U.S.? I remember the Illinois Railway Museum and the Colorado Railroad Museum as being particularly good. I also remember others as being pathetically poor where you could buy all the coffee mugs, T-Shirts and bumper stickers you want but not very many railroad books. The elimination of books in favor of other merchandise seems to me to be a trend (one which I think is unfortunate). One can only guess that passengers of U.K. tourist railways read more books than U.S. passengers and that U.S. gift shops stock what visitors purchase.

My intention is not to discuss which country's citizens read more books but to find out where are the best bookstores at U.S. preserved railways.


cwiatrowski@earthlink.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:40 pm 

Strasburg Rail Road. End of list.

sfreer@tvrail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:13 pm 

> Strasburg Rail Road. End of list.

Ditto.

Years ago, there was a excellent store run by the local R&LHS chapter in Old Sacramento... Milepost 1... between MP1 and the Bookmine, I left after my first trip in 1989 a bit lighter in wallet.
The R&LHS store, I think moved or closed and the Bookmine went all internet shortly after Railfair '99.


http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:59 pm 

The Strasburg's Book Store is top of the list. But, remember, SRC effectively has TWO "stores".... the aforementioned railfan bookstore, with just about every obscure title you could want (and some out-of-print stuff, too), AND the store (or even two, as I recall) for the civilians-- the regular moms & dads.

Most of the visitors to most of the excursion-tourist-museum railroads in this country are the regular moms & dads, and they have no interest in the usual railfan-oriented books. In my experience, those books simply languish on the shelves at most places, becoming shop-worn and un-saleable. The true "buffs" don't patronize the museum-tourist roads or their gift shops, so there is little point in stocking what won't sell. The SRC shop is well-known as a source for this stuff, though.

There's quite a difference between the UK and US historic railways, and the bookstores are just one example. Reading books is more mainstream in the UK, I suspect.

hpincus@mindspring.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:33 pm 

> The Strasburg's Book Store is top of the
> list. But, remember, SRC effectively has TWO
> "stores".... the aforementioned
> railfan bookstore, with just about every
> obscure title you could want (and some
> out-of-print stuff, too), AND the store (or
> even two, as I recall) for the civilians--
> the regular moms & dads.

> Most of the visitors to most of the
> excursion-tourist-museum railroads in this
> country are the regular moms & dads, and
> they have no interest in the usual
> railfan-oriented books. In my experience,
> those books simply languish on the shelves
> at most places, becoming shop-worn and
> un-saleable. The true "buffs"
> don't patronize the museum-tourist roads or
> their gift shops, so there is little point
> in stocking what won't sell. The SRC shop is
> well-known as a source for this stuff,
> though.

> There's quite a difference between the UK
> and US historic railways, and the bookstores
> are just one example. Reading books is more
> mainstream in the UK, I suspect.
For new books videos I think I buy more from the strasburg rr. However for used & remainders etc. I think The one at the Colorado rr. muse. at Golden is best. bb


  
 
 Post subject: A HUGE difference in objective
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:50 pm 

> There's quite a difference between the UK
> and US historic railways, and the bookstores
> are just one example. Reading books is more
> mainstream in the UK, I suspect.

Not only that, I can't begin to count how many book-buying opportunities I passed up in the UK at tourist lines. It appears that, as far as out-of-print books go, American fans expect to buy them at inflated prices from private dealers; UK fans expect to buy them at not-as-inflated prices from excursion line book stalls. When I was in the UK in September 1991, I bought two suitcases full of rare books and back issues of rail magazines; I paid far more for shipping and overweight luggage than I paid for the bargain books! (Seriously, 12 issues of a magazine for £1 a set of 12 issues?)

It appears that if the American enthusiast dies with a rare book in his possession, the only answer is eBay; when a British fan dies, they see how much good the book can do for the book's subject. To that end, I have acquired books on certain rail lines and shipped them back to the current custodians of the trackage, to sell to raise funds for their projects.

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:06 am 

> I am reading the Winter 2003 issue of the
> "Bluebell News: Journal of the Bluebell
> Railway" in the UK. There is a photo of
> a two story building under construction on
> page 29 identified as the "new bookshop
> at Sheffield Park." Scaling the
> dimensions from a man standing in the photo,
> I am guessing this is a 2,000 sq. ft.
> bookshop.

> Where are the best bookshops at preserved
> railways in the U.S.? I remember the
> Illinois Railway Museum and the Colorado
> Railroad Museum as being particularly good.
> I also remember others as being pathetically
> poor where you could buy all the coffee
> mugs, T-Shirts and bumper stickers you want
> but not very many railroad books. The
> elimination of books in favor of other
> merchandise seems to me to be a trend (one
> which I think is unfortunate). One can only
> guess that passengers of U.K. tourist
> railways read more books than U.S.
> passengers and that U.S. gift shops stock
> what visitors purchase.

> My intention is not to discuss which
> country's citizens read more books but to
> find out where are the best bookstores at
> U.S. preserved railways.

I second Strasburg Railroad for new books though IRM has a nice collection primarily for the Midwest. Next Spring or Summer when out at the Illinois Railway Museum, stop by the IRM Used Bookstore in the Milwaukee Road baggage car just after the lineup of locomotives as you make your way onto the property. Elmer Passow has a large and fairly complete collection of rail and model train magazines and some out of print used books, timetables, trolley controllers, etc. Proceeds from the sales go 100% into equipment restoration, so everyone benefits. The more rare books that otherwise would be third duplicates can be found at the IRM Strahorn Library in Marengo (see IRM website for hours and contact, open certain days during the winter).
For those specialized books of passenger cars, I have ordered from Bob Wayner in New York.
Ted Anderson, IRM Pullman Library volunteer curator

tedander@core.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?- OOPS
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:38 am 

In my previous post, antique trolley controller handles were still available at the Used Bookstore, not trolley controllers!
> Ted Anderson, IRM Pullman Library volunteer
> curator


tedander@core.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:44 pm 

I'll see your two and raise you one: RRM of PA has a pretty good bookstore across the street.



Electric City Trolley Museum Association


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:10 pm 

I think you need to divide it into weather you are interested in railroad books; then go to the Colorado Railroad Museum bookstore at 800 365-6263.

Or for the traction crowd the Seashore Trolley Museum. The museum is closed this time of year; but the web site is alive and their printed catalogue is available as well.

Ted Miles

ted_miles@nps.gov


  
 
 Post subject: Re: What railways have the best bookstores? *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:12 am 

"Best" is a highly subjective term/concept. However several good museum book stores have been nominated... I'm not arguing.

However, I feel I should bring to your attention the "Depot Bookstore" at the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie Washington. It is not as big as some of the others mentioned in this thread, but there is nothing to match it in the Seattle metro area, and it has A LOT of Pacific Northwest regional interest (i.e. railroad and logging) books available.

Northwest Railway Museum
Image
brianf425@yahoo.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: