| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Is it true? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8243 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Dick [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Is it true? |
I've heard a rumor from a source known to be reliable that the Railways to Yesterday group in Pennsylvania is about to put their ex-North Shore "Electroliner" on the open market. Can anyone confirm? And if confirmed, what is the asking price? bakerst@best.com |
|
| Author: | Frank Hicks [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | No |
This rumor has been floating around for at least six months. I heard it from a source known to be reliable, too, and it turns out that this time he was wrong. I asked someone in charge at Railways to Yesterday about it and apparently the rumor originated at their 2003 annual meeting, during which someone brought up the idea of deaccessing the Liberty Liner. The idea was evidently dismissed pretty quickly. Frank Hicks Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars F-Hicks@wiu.edu |
|
| Author: | T. V. Prowell [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:00 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No |
> This rumor has been floating around for at > least six months. I heard it from a source > known to be reliable, too, and it turns out > that this time he was wrong. > I asked someone in charge at Railways to > Yesterday about it and apparently the rumor > originated at their 2003 annual meeting, > during which someone brought up the idea of > deaccessing the Liberty Liner. The idea was > evidently dismissed pretty quickly. > Frank Hicks It's not a rumor. Rockhill Trolley Museum's Liberty Liner Independence Hall (CNS&M 803/804) is up for disposition. There will be a formal posting to that effect on RyPN this coming weekend. A mailing has already been sent out to a number of preservation organizations. aeriola@adelphia.net |
|
| Author: | Frank Hicks [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No |
I must apologize for the inaccurate post on my part. I guess I'm the one who isn't very dependable! Sorry, folks. Frank Hicks Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars F-Hicks@wiu.edu |
|
| Author: | Glen Brewer [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Memories of the Electroliner |
My memories of a trip on the Electroliner: www.homestaydenver.com/northshore Riding the Electroliner gbrewer@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Steve Singer [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: No |
> It's not a rumor. Rockhill Trolley Museum's > Liberty Liner Independence Hall (CNS&M > 803/804) is up for disposition. There will > be a formal posting to that effect on RyPN > this coming weekend. A mailing has already > been sent out to a number of preservation > organizations. Well then, wouldn't it be a nice addition to Scranton's Electric City collection? A Liberty Liner on the old L&WV. Have to call it a Laural Liner! bas1210@concast.net |
|
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:21 am ] |
| Post subject: | Laurel Liner! |
I LOVE IT! Of course, with Scranton once being known as the "Electic City" I guess an ElectroLiner might fit in. All kidding aside, wouldn't it be nice to see her go to Chicagoland? Any one with a plan? Rob |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | But Chicago already HAS one........ *PIC* |
> All kidding aside, wouldn't it be nice to > see her go to Chicagoland? Any one with a > plan? A gentle reminder that Chicago-land already HAS the "other" Electroliner, at the Illinois Railway Museum, in stupendous condition to boot. I'd have no great opposition to Scranton getting the "Liberty Liner", and if Scranton is indeed the "Electric City", then that should avoid the "problem" of all the lights in town dimming as the train pulls out of the station! <:-D ![]() LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net |
|
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: But Chicago already HAS one........ |
Yes, but don't they both deserve to be out there? If I had the lottery cash I so sorely need, she'd be running weekend tourist service on the loop! Rob > A gentle reminder that Chicago-land already > HAS the "other" Electroliner, at > the Illinois Railway Museum, in stupendous > condition to boot. I'd have no great > opposition to Scranton getting the > "Liberty Liner", and if Scranton > is indeed the "Electric City", > then that should avoid the > "problem" of all the lights in > town dimming as the train pulls out of the > station! <:-D |
|
| Author: | Steve Singer [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:59 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: But Chicago already HAS one........ |
> Yes, but don't they both deserve to be out > there? > If I had the lottery cash I so sorely need, > she'd be running weekend tourist service on > the loop! > Rob Yes, but if Red Arrow didn't buy them when the North Shore folded would they still be around today? I rode them out of 69th Street while in high school. I truly hope one stays in Pa. bas1210@comcast.net |
|
| Author: | Don C. [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | East Troy, WI |
Why not Wisconsin? I think a nice scenic ride through the southeastern Wisconsin countryside courtesy of the East Troy folks would make for a pleasant weekend diversion. Maybe an Electroburger and a Falstaff would be in order. Don C. milw261@sbcglobal.net |
|
| Author: | Dick [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: East Troy, WI |
Regardless of well intended conjecture, the Liner will go where some organization has enough cash to buy it - not necessarily where it can be operated in a manner consistent with its capabilities. And, if memory serves me correctly, Schlitz was the beer that was sold in the tavern section during North Shore days. bakerst@best.com |
|
| Author: | Dave Crosby [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Laurel Liner |
Ah, A Luarel Liner.... I can picture a Scranton to Montage run in 7 minutes now... I for one would love to see one of them preserved as a Liberty Liner. I think sometimes we get pre-occupied returning everything to its "original" condition or location while glancing over what became of the object over its lifespan. I like the idea of having two truley "different" trainsets, an Electroliner and a Liberty Liner. Its just like having a GP-30 preserved in Conrail instead of PRR or having a couple E-units in the later PRR scheme, its interesting, different. Variety is the spice of life as they say. Just my two cents. Dave Crosby bing@epix.net |
|
| Author: | David M. Wilkins [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Falstaff |
I believe that Falstaff is a St. Louis-based beer, so something like Schlitz would probably be correct to have been served on the Electroliner. I'm Yuengling drinker myself, it's been a while since I've had "The Beer that Made Milwaukee (and the North Shore) Famous" david.wilkins@bardstown.com |
|
| Author: | Erik Ledbetter [ Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | See the Briefs |
A Brief describing the terms of the offer is now up and avialable. eledbetter@rypn.org |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|