Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Steamtown
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8246
Page 1 of 2

Author:  al zubal [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Steamtown

Does anyone know what is happening with the locomotives. I think a while back someone said that there were wheel troubles with 2317 similer to the wheels on the 3254? Are the wheels back for the 54 and will it be out next year and if the wheels come off the 17 are they goning to be gone for a year or more.
Thank You
Al

Author:  buddy bob [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> Does anyone know what is happening with the
> locomotives. I think a while back someone
> said that there were wheel troubles with
> 2317 similer to the wheels on the 3254? Are
> the wheels back for the 54 and will it be
> out next year and if the wheels come off the
> 17 are they goning to be gone for a year or
> more.
> Thank You
> Al
IN regards to ST. why has there been no news on the k4? Will the k4 be out the door in 04? If not why not? bb

Author:  Brian O. [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> IN regards to ST. why has there been no news
> on the k4? Will the k4 be out the door in
> 04? If not why not? bb

K4 1361 project is still going on but very very slow. It has been ongoin since 1997 when it arrived in the Steamtown Shops. From the most recent update they say around the end of 2004 but they also said it would be done by the summer of 1998 so don't expect her to hit the high iron anytime soon.

Author:  SOUTHERN630 [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> K4 1361 project is still going on but very
> very slow. It has been ongoin since 1997
> when it arrived in the Steamtown Shops. From
> the most recent update they say around the
> end of 2004 but they also said it would be
> done by the summer of 1998 so don't expect
> her to hit the high iron anytime soon.
That would be a good guess, the wheels for it are done, and still sitting at TVRM, waiting for someone to say that they need to come back up there.
I heard something about the FRA making them remove their backhead sheet because it wasn't approved by them.Is this ture? info. anyone....

SOUTHERN630@HOTMAIL.COM

Author:  Tom Gears [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

I have wondered why they send out wheels in the first place. I was there and saw a wheel lathe with my own eyes and I think they had the K4 wheels being turned at the time. It just gives me a bad feeling when they are not using the equipment they have one hand.

I think the K4 is going to run right after the Eagles win the Superbowl and the Red Sox win the World Series.

Tom

Author:  jason sobczynski [ Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> I have wondered why they send out wheels in
> the first place. I was there and saw a wheel
> lathe with my own eyes and I think they had
> the K4 wheels being turned at the time. It
> just gives me a bad feeling when they are
> not using the equipment they have one hand.

The k4 drivers were sent to TVRM for crack repairsin the wheel centers. The others were done as partial payment for TVRM's aqusition of the Canadian engine.

jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

Hello All

From what hear there's really not much to report. Just one clarification though. TVRM did previous wheel work for the NPS as a payment/partial payment for the CN 5288. This current work on the 3254 wheels is more of a cut and dry contract job. I heard a dollar figure tossed around for the wheel work, but I'm not sure if thats accurate or not. It is a government contract, so I'm sure one can find that information out there somewhere.

I think the decision to send the wheels out rather than do them in-house was due to the deteriorated condition of the wheels themselves. I think one of the TVRM guys used the phrase "cracks-a-plenty" a while back.

Last I saw the K4 most of the firebox side sheets were removed and if I recall correctly the backhead had yet to be permanently attached. The engine will certainly not be out this year. I heard that the owners were seeking additional funding to have the locomotive completed by 2005, and while it wouldn't seem likely, I suppose anything is possible.

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

Author:  justin [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> I think the K4 is going to run right after
> the Red Sox
> win the World Series.

So that means it will run this year right:)

Also What is going on with the B&M 4-6-2. On another fourm i heard that Steamtown wants it to be done by 2005 for the 10th annaversery of the grand opening.

-justin



qcmrs18@yahoo.com

Author:  rob [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

> K4 1361 project is still going on but very
> very slow. It has been ongoin since 1997
> when it arrived in the Steamtown Shops. From
> the most recent update they say around the
> end of 2004 but they also said it would be
> done by the summer of 1998 so don't expect
> her to hit the high iron anytime soon.
I don't think there is a deadline to get it done. I know several people who have steam loco experiance who have volinteered to help. The contractor took there name and # and said I'll call when I need more help. Also I was told he has bid on some other loco jobs.Does this mean there is no rush? advise please. rob

tubeit2002@yahoo.com

Author:  SOUTHERN630 [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

Yeah, the wheels when they went to TVRM were in rough shape, but thats all taken care of now!they look like brand new wheels ready to run 70 mph!!wink wink...The 3254 wheels were very rough when they went to TVRM, but thats quickly being taken care of, and they are going to look brand new when their done.Those guys at TVRM do a pretty good job with wheels.

>Hello All

> From what hear there's really not much to
> report. Just one clarification though. TVRM
> did previous wheel work for the NPS as a
> payment/partial payment for the CN 5288.
> This current work on the 3254 wheels is more
> of a cut and dry contract job. I heard a
> dollar figure tossed around for the wheel
> work, but I'm not sure if thats accurate or
> not. It is a government contract, so I'm
> sure one can find that information out there
> somewhere.

> I think the decision to send the wheels out
> rather than do them in-house was due to the
> deteriorated condition of the wheels
> themselves. I think one of the TVRM guys
> used the phrase "cracks-a-plenty"
> a while back.

> Last I saw the K4 most of the firebox side
> sheets were removed and if I recall
> correctly the backhead had yet to be
> permanently attached. The engine will
> certainly not be out this year. I heard that
> the owners were seeking additional funding
> to have the locomotive completed by 2005,
> and while it wouldn't seem likely, I suppose
> anything is possible.

> Dave Crosby


SOUTHERN630@HOTMAIL.COM

Author:  Joshua [ Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

I have also heard that STEA is pushing for 3713 to be done in 2005, and 26 as well.

Joshua

Author:  justin [ Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

What are they even going to do with the K4 when it is done? Do you think NS is going to let that run on its rails. NO, they won't even let Steamtown use the wye in Portland. A locomotive rebuilt, and returned home..... and no place to run it.

-justin franz

qcmrs18@yahoo.com

Author:  G. Mark Ray - TVRM [ Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown

Please allow me to jump in here...

The 3254 wheel work is a joint effort between TVRM and Steam Operations Corp. Scott Lindsay has rebuilt the driving boxes at Lunar Tool in St. Louis and we have repaired all the cracks, resurfaced the pins and journals, and applied new hub plates and tires to the wheels. The wheel centers also had to be banded to return them to original diameter (they had reached their minimum diameter and could not trued up without condemning them). This is indeed a contract job.

Steamtown has a very nice wheel lathe. It is a Niles Model AA86 and can be seen in the 1947 Locomotive Cyclopedia. It is billed as the new, streamlined version that can do it all. With the attachments installed, it is capable of quartering and journal turning. Only one was ever sold and it now resides at Steamtown. There is only one problem, the overhead crane that would be used to put wheels into the lathe is out of service and slated for replacement. Once that occurs, then I am sure the folks at Steamtown will be using the wheel lathe once again.

As part of the acquisition of the 5288, we did commit to do some wheel work on the 3713. We are currently discussing a schedule to make this happen. I too am looking forward to seeing that monster Lima Pacific running once again.

G. Mark
TVRM

Look at our Revamped Website
aw90@comcast.net

Author:  JIm Robinson [ Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Banding wheel centers??

> The wheel centers also had to be banded to return them to original diameter

Could Mark (or someone) please elaborate on this process?

I assume it's adding a band of material around the wheel center to restore the diameter, but how is it attached to the wheel? Or is it a shim that gets held in place when the tire is heated on?

Just curious.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Author:  buddy bob [ Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Banding wheel centers??

> Could Mark (or someone) please elaborate on
> this process?

> I assume it's adding a band of material
> around the wheel center to restore the
> diameter, but how is it attached to the
> wheel? Or is it a shim that gets held in
> place when the tire is heated on?

> Just curious.

> Regards,
> Jim Robinson
Dear Jim; I read about this in an old railway mech. eng. mag. I think in the 1940s. The wheels were turn true if ci. then a band made and shrink fit on then drilled and taped in several places for studs to keep it from working loose. If the wheels were steel they normaly were built up by subarc welding. regards bb

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/