It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Is it true?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:55 pm 

I've heard a rumor from a source known to be reliable that the Railways to Yesterday group in Pennsylvania is about to put their ex-North Shore "Electroliner" on the open market. Can anyone confirm? And if confirmed, what is the asking price?

bakerst@best.com


  
 
 Post subject: No
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:10 pm 

This rumor has been floating around for at least six months. I heard it from a source known to be reliable, too, and it turns out that this time he was wrong.

I asked someone in charge at Railways to Yesterday about it and apparently the rumor originated at their 2003 annual meeting, during which someone brought up the idea of deaccessing the Liberty Liner. The idea was evidently dismissed pretty quickly.

Frank Hicks

Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars
F-Hicks@wiu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Re: No
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:00 pm 

> This rumor has been floating around for at
> least six months. I heard it from a source
> known to be reliable, too, and it turns out
> that this time he was wrong.

> I asked someone in charge at Railways to
> Yesterday about it and apparently the rumor
> originated at their 2003 annual meeting,
> during which someone brought up the idea of
> deaccessing the Liberty Liner. The idea was
> evidently dismissed pretty quickly.

> Frank Hicks

It's not a rumor. Rockhill Trolley Museum's Liberty Liner Independence Hall (CNS&M 803/804) is up for disposition. There will be a formal posting to that effect on RyPN this coming weekend. A mailing has already been sent out to a number of preservation organizations.

aeriola@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: No
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:46 pm 

I must apologize for the inaccurate post on my part. I guess I'm the one who isn't very dependable! Sorry, folks.

Frank Hicks

Preserved North American Electric Railway Cars
F-Hicks@wiu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Memories of the Electroliner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:28 pm 

My memories of a trip on the Electroliner: www.homestaydenver.com/northshore

Riding the Electroliner
gbrewer@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: No
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:56 am 

> It's not a rumor. Rockhill Trolley Museum's
> Liberty Liner Independence Hall (CNS&M
> 803/804) is up for disposition. There will
> be a formal posting to that effect on RyPN
> this coming weekend. A mailing has already
> been sent out to a number of preservation
> organizations.
Well then, wouldn't it be a nice addition to Scranton's Electric City collection? A Liberty Liner on the old L&WV. Have to call it a Laural Liner!

bas1210@concast.net


  
 
 Post subject: Laurel Liner!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:21 am 

I LOVE IT!

Of course, with Scranton once being known as the "Electic City" I guess an ElectroLiner might fit in.

All kidding aside, wouldn't it be nice to see her go to Chicagoland? Any one with a plan?

Rob


  
 
 Post subject: But Chicago already HAS one........ *PIC*
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:53 am 

> All kidding aside, wouldn't it be nice to
> see her go to Chicagoland? Any one with a
> plan?

A gentle reminder that Chicago-land already HAS the "other" Electroliner, at the Illinois Railway Museum, in stupendous condition to boot. I'd have no great opposition to Scranton getting the "Liberty Liner", and if Scranton is indeed the "Electric City", then that should avoid the "problem" of all the lights in town dimming as the train pulls out of the station! <:-D


Image
LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: But Chicago already HAS one........
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:54 am 

Yes, but don't they both deserve to be out there?

If I had the lottery cash I so sorely need, she'd be running weekend tourist service on the loop!

Rob

> A gentle reminder that Chicago-land already
> HAS the "other" Electroliner, at
> the Illinois Railway Museum, in stupendous
> condition to boot. I'd have no great
> opposition to Scranton getting the
> "Liberty Liner", and if Scranton
> is indeed the "Electric City",
> then that should avoid the
> "problem" of all the lights in
> town dimming as the train pulls out of the
> station! <:-D


  
 
 Post subject: Re: But Chicago already HAS one........
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:59 am 

> Yes, but don't they both deserve to be out
> there?

> If I had the lottery cash I so sorely need,
> she'd be running weekend tourist service on
> the loop!

> Rob
Yes, but if Red Arrow didn't buy them when the North Shore folded would they still be around today? I rode them out of 69th Street while in high school. I truly hope one stays in Pa.

bas1210@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: East Troy, WI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:30 pm 

Why not Wisconsin? I think a nice scenic ride through the southeastern Wisconsin countryside courtesy of the East Troy folks would make for a pleasant weekend diversion. Maybe an Electroburger and a Falstaff would be in order.

Don C.

milw261@sbcglobal.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: East Troy, WI
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:52 pm 

Regardless of well intended conjecture, the Liner will go where some organization has enough cash to buy it - not necessarily where it can be operated in a manner consistent with its capabilities.

And, if memory serves me correctly, Schlitz was the beer that was sold in the tavern section during North Shore days.


bakerst@best.com


  
 
 Post subject: Laurel Liner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:58 pm 

Ah, A Luarel Liner.... I can picture a Scranton to Montage run in 7 minutes now...

I for one would love to see one of them preserved as a Liberty Liner. I think sometimes we get pre-occupied returning everything to its "original" condition or location while glancing over what became of the object over its lifespan. I like the idea of having two truley "different" trainsets, an Electroliner and a Liberty Liner. Its just like having a GP-30 preserved in Conrail instead of PRR or having a couple E-units in the later PRR scheme, its interesting, different. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

Just my two cents.

Dave Crosby


bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Falstaff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:59 pm 

I believe that Falstaff is a St. Louis-based beer, so something like Schlitz would probably be correct to have been served on the Electroliner.

I'm Yuengling drinker myself, it's been a while since I've had "The Beer that Made Milwaukee (and the North Shore) Famous"

david.wilkins@bardstown.com


  
 
 Post subject: See the Briefs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:09 am 

A Brief describing the terms of the offer is now up and avialable.

eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: