It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Frankfort roundhouse endangered.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:29 pm 

Anyone on the list been involved with the former Nickel Plate Frankfort, Indiana roundhouse? I've been trying for over 15 years to get information on it, to no avail. Sounds like it is quite endangered. I'd heard for years that there was a group working to save it, but never got any responses despite many blind inquiries.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/2/112243-1182-009.html
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frankfort roundhouse endangered.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:12 pm 

> Anyone on the list been involved with the
> former Nickel Plate Frankfort, Indiana
> roundhouse? I've been trying for over 15
> years to get information on it, to no avail.
> Sounds like it is quite endangered. I'd
> heard for years that there was a group
> working to save it, but never got any
> responses despite many blind inquiries.

Bob:

I believe that the Frankfort roundhouse was one of the sites considered when the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society was considering where to locate their historical collection. They eventually decided on Linden, Indiana which has a restored "L" shaped depot that served both the Monon and Nickel Plate Road. Although the Frankfort roundhouse (and still standing concrete coal dock) are ex-NKP, the Monon line crossed the old NKP in that area, and at that time, the unrestored Monon depot was still in place. The depot, I believe, has since been razed. Perhaps the reason that the Momon group chose Linden over Frankfort, might have to do with a friendly offer from the local government authority operating the Linden museum. Perhaps someone can give you the full story. Still, it would be nice to see the Frankfort roundhouse and coal dock preserved. Hopefully they will be.

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana)

midlandblb@cs.com


  
 
 Post subject: Is the roundhouse complete?.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:54 am 

Is the roundhouse at Frankfort complete, or was it partially razed after dieselization? I've heard the latter, but would like to know.

http://www.nkphts.org/preservation/indexes/tracksidestructures.html
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: