It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: LV Depot Burns in East Jim Thorpe
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:05 am 

Hi,

I am saddened to say I heard today that the former Lehigh Valley frieght house in East Jim Thorpe, PA burned earlier this month. It was the last LV structure in JT.

Time marches on...

Rob


  
 
 Post subject: Time Marches?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:11 am 

> Hi,

> I am saddened to say I heard today that the
> former Lehigh Valley frieght house in East
> Jim Thorpe, PA burned earlier this month. It
> was the last LV structure in JT.

> Time marches on...

> Rob

Generally, fires started in abandoned structures are set, either by owners looking to unload a non-earning asset on their insurer OR by vandals.

No matter the cause, sad, very sad.



superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Time Marches?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:35 pm 

> Generally, fires started in abandoned
> structures are set, either by owners looking
> to unload a non-earning asset on their
> insurer OR by vandals.

> No matter the cause, sad, very sad.

True, but in this case I believe the building was occupied. My comment about time marching on was specifically directed at the fact that the longer historic railroad structures go without an active preservation/restoration program, the more likely they are to succumb to various fates.

Can a preserved building burn? Of course... but hopefully a restored state offers some greater protections.

Rob


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Time Marches?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:02 pm 

> True, but in this case I believe the
> building was occupied. My comment about time
> marching on was specifically directed at the
> fact that the longer historic railroad
> structures go without an active
> preservation/restoration program, the more
> likely they are to succumb to various fates.

> Can a preserved building burn? Of course...
> but hopefully a restored state offers some
> greater protections.

> Rob

Rob, I agree-didn't mean to sound disagreeable.

Saw this info on another forum and it seemed to imply that the structure was last used as a hairdresser's shop. Thats why I was suspicious of arson.



superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: