| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| LV Depot Burns in East Jim Thorpe https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8297 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | LV Depot Burns in East Jim Thorpe |
Hi, I am saddened to say I heard today that the former Lehigh Valley frieght house in East Jim Thorpe, PA burned earlier this month. It was the last LV structure in JT. Time marches on... Rob |
|
| Author: | Superheater [ Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | Time Marches? |
> Hi, > I am saddened to say I heard today that the > former Lehigh Valley frieght house in East > Jim Thorpe, PA burned earlier this month. It > was the last LV structure in JT. > Time marches on... > Rob Generally, fires started in abandoned structures are set, either by owners looking to unload a non-earning asset on their insurer OR by vandals. No matter the cause, sad, very sad. superheater@rrmail.com |
|
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Time Marches? |
> Generally, fires started in abandoned > structures are set, either by owners looking > to unload a non-earning asset on their > insurer OR by vandals. > No matter the cause, sad, very sad. True, but in this case I believe the building was occupied. My comment about time marching on was specifically directed at the fact that the longer historic railroad structures go without an active preservation/restoration program, the more likely they are to succumb to various fates. Can a preserved building burn? Of course... but hopefully a restored state offers some greater protections. Rob |
|
| Author: | Superheater [ Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Time Marches? |
> True, but in this case I believe the > building was occupied. My comment about time > marching on was specifically directed at the > fact that the longer historic railroad > structures go without an active > preservation/restoration program, the more > likely they are to succumb to various fates. > Can a preserved building burn? Of course... > but hopefully a restored state offers some > greater protections. > Rob Rob, I agree-didn't mean to sound disagreeable. Saw this info on another forum and it seemed to imply that the structure was last used as a hairdresser's shop. Thats why I was suspicious of arson. superheater@rrmail.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|