It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: History of the Auto Train
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:12 pm 

I am researching the origins og the Auto Train from its' private ownership and default to takeover by Amtrak.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have been refered to several magazines, "Trains" (1/73 12/74and 12/92), Passenger Train Journal especially May 1995, article by Bill Riddell, and Rail News 7/97, but do not know how to locate them.
Thank You
Gerogia Burnette
PS. I have contacted Amtrack.



gmburnette@adelphia.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: History of the Auto Train
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:06 pm 

> I am researching the origins og the Auto
> Train from its' private ownership and
> default to takeover by Amtrak.Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

> I have been refered to several magazines,
> "Trains" (1/73 12/74and 12/92),
> Passenger Train Journal especially May 1995,
> article by Bill Riddell, and Rail News 7/97,
> but do not know how to locate them.
> Thank You
> Gerogia Burnette
> PS. I have contacted Amtrack.

Amtrak will be next to useless in this mission.

You don't indicate where you are, but I believe the Maryland Rail Heritage Library has all the aqbove magazines in its files plus a couple other articles as well. You can contact me at LNER4472@bcpl.net to set up an appointment or have us do the legwork for a donation.


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: History of the Auto Train
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:29 pm 

> I am researching the origins og the Auto
> Train from its' private ownership and
> default to takeover by Amtrak.Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

The Atlantic Coast Line & Seaboard Air Line Historical Society has an excellent quarterly publication ("Lines South") which recently featured a very thorough history of the Auto-Train Company.

Contact them at www.aclsal.org for more information.

Alan Maples

ACL & SCL Historical Society
AMaples@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: