| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| PGE 53 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8318 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | PGE 53 |
Pacific Great Eastern 2-8-0 53, which today rests peacefully in a lake in British Columbia after a derailment (Anderson or Seton, can't remember which). http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/PGE53A.JPG ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Mike Nowell [ Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: PGE 53 |
> Pacific Great Eastern 2-8-0 53, which today > rests peacefully in a lake in British > Columbia after a derailment (Anderson or > Seton, can't remember which). Bob, According to the book "Pacific Great Eastern Steam Locomotives" #53 was lost in Seton Lake. # 56 was lost in Anderson Lake. I recall reading years back that a salvage team that recovered a BC-Rail Diesel from (Seaton or Anderson Lake don't recall which) was using that as a dry run (no pun intended) to recovering either #53 or 56. Does anyone remember the details? cottagebound@hotmail.com |
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Diesel recovery |
As I recall, a four axle and a six axle Alco had derailed along one of these lakes. The four axle was recovered and rebuilt, but the big one was written off after a failed recovery attempt by the railway. Two amateur divers set out to raise it, using old steel tanks that they sunk and then pumped the water out of for flotation. They got the hulk dragged up onto shore, but I lost track after that. I think the cadaver was to be stripped of anything usable and scrapped to cover expenses. If I recall, they had talked about going after one of the steam engines, but I don't know if they ever tried or not. ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|