Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Kings Cross 1933
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8340
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Kings Cross 1933

Famous face at a famous place. Was it still an A1 class at that time?

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?june03/06-22-03/a1_4472_103_c_king_s_cross.17_july_1933.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  David M. Wilkins [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kings Cross 1933

I think LNER 4472 the "Flying Scotsmas" became an A3 either during or after WWII. I seem to remember 1945-1946, but its been a while since I've read extensively on the subject, so I may be wrong.



david.wilkins@bardstown.com

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kings Cross 1933

> Famous face at a famous place. Was it still
> an A1 class at that time?

I've found two other photos of that loco (note my e-mail address!) from 1935 showing her as unrebuilt A1. Oddly, I've consulted no less than four books on 4472 and the LNER Pacifics, and none has nailed down the rebuild date.


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net

Author:  Joshua [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:33 pm ]
Post subject:  A1 vs A3

This isn't a UK preservation board but...

I don't think I knew that the 4472 used to be an A1. What's the difference between an A1, and A2 and and a A3?? I have not been able to figure this out. Maybe its because I'm a GWR fan first, or perhaps because I love the A4s. Thanks for any help.

Joshau

Author:  John Craft [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A1 vs A3

> What's the difference between an
> A1, and A2 and and a A3??

I believe the A2 is a refinement of the A1, and the A3 is a rebuild of the A1. I don't believe there were any locos built as A3s.

JAC

Author:  Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Oh, god, don't make me reach for more ref. books

> I believe the A2 is a refinement of the A1,
> and the A3 is a rebuild of the A1. I don't
> believe there were any locos built as A3s.

Nope.

As Stewie from the cartoon "Family Guy" would say, "D*MN you........." (For making me get out more books!)

The original "competition", so to speak, was in the early 1920s (just as over a hundred railways were consolidated into four in 1923--and the only one we're concerned with is the LNER) between the Great Northern Ry. Gresley A1, epitomized by 1470-1472 (later 4470-4472) and their A1 successors, and the five North Eastern Ry. Raven Pacifics, later LNER Class A2. 4472 was ordered by the GNR and delivered to its successor, the LNER. The Raven Pacifics lost out on the test bed and were not replicated, whereas the Gresley Pacifics were.

Beginning in 1928 and continuing through the 1930s (primarily post-1935) the LNER A1's were upgraded with higher-pressure boilers into A3's. The primary visible change, although not immediately applied to all locos, was the elongated "banjo dome" as 4472 now carries. Many others, built between 1929-1935, were built as A3's.

The A1 and A2 classifications were resurrected for the Thompson (1941-1946) and Peppercorn (1946-1948) Pacific loco designs. BR 60532 "Blue Peter" is the sole preserved example of the Peppercorn A1 class.

Confused yet?


LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net

Author:  David M. Wilkins [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  LNER Pacifics

Okay, let's get this straightened out, I've consulted some reference material, so here we go.

A1, the Original Gresley Pacifics, the first one was built before consolidation in the 1920s for the Great Northern (British).

A2, the Raven-designed 4-6-2s that competed with Gresley in the newly-formed LNER for the standard express design.

A3, an improved A1 engine. The class composed of both newly-built A3s and rebuilt A1s. The difference lay in the boilers, and a different superheater arrangement. Some of the un rebuilt A1s were rebuilt by Thompson (Gresley's successor)

A4-Streamlined and improved A3, Mallard, need I say more.

When Thompson took over after Gresley's death, he created his own design of LNER 4-6-2s, which frankly looked odd. Some like "Great Northern," the original A1 were rebuilt. His designs are fell into these classes

A 1/1
A 2/1
A 2/1
A 2/3

Then, Arthur Peppercorn took over and designed his own class of pacifics, more along traditional Gresley lines.

A1-The Tornado, the one being built new in England
A2-"Blue Peter" also a favorite of mine

During this time, the original unrebuilt A1s were reclassed to A10.

Well, I think that straightens it out. Any questions?


david.wilkins@bardstown.com

Author:  David M. Wilkins [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Useful LNER Link

Useful LNER link:
http://www.winwaed.com/rail/LNER/locos/A/a.shtml

Useful LNER Link
david.wilkins@bardstown.com

Author:  David M. Wilkins [ Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  LNER 4472 From A1 to A3

My material states that LNER 4472 the "Flying Scotsman" was rebuilt into the A3 class in 1/47, just a year before nationalization

david.wilkins@bardstown.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/