Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

611 MEMORIES
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8580
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Steve Gilbert [ Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:11 pm ]
Post subject:  611 MEMORIES

To paraphrase John Lennon:
"let me take you back, cause I'm going to.."
Roanoke in 1987.
During the famous side-by-side excursion with 611 and 1218, someone had a rather professional looking audio recorder running in the combine behind 611.
I'll never forget the shotgun blast of 611's stack, as Frank Collins walked her away from the 2nd runby west of Elliston without a slip.
Does a good recording of this exist?

Author:  John Craft [ Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 611 MEMORIES

> During the famous side-by-side excursion
> with 611 and 1218, someone had a rather
> professional looking audio recorder running
> in the combine behind 611.
> Does a good recording of this exist?

Nice job timing your post, Steve ;)

You're probably referring to Brad Miller - two cuts of the side-by-side running showed up on his "Sounds of Trains, Volume 2."

I have no idea if Brad's recordings are still commercially available. If you want to pursue it and strike out, back-channel me and I'll give you the address of the distributor (in 1987, that is).

JAC

Author:  Kevin Gilliam [ Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 611 MEMORIES

> To paraphrase John Lennon:
> "let me take you back, cause I'm going
> to.."
> Roanoke in 1987.
> During the famous side-by-side excursion
> with 611 and 1218, someone had a rather
> professional looking audio recorder running
> in the combine behind 611.
> I'll never forget the shotgun blast of 611's
> stack, as Frank Collins walked her away from
> the 2nd runby west of Elliston without a
> slip.
> Does a good recording of this exist?

Doesn't have all of it, but the Mark I Video tape has a shot from about 500' west of the crossing with 611 pulling out west...and yes, it sounded good!

What we took for granted then...
Kevin

k_gilliam@bellsouth.net

Author:  Mark [ Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 611 MEMORIES

Ron Loving of Mainline Motion Pictures has a great CD of 611, 1218, and 4501. His name on eBay is hoboron. look him up that way or search on google for Mainline Motion Pictures.

You can contact me offline for other great 611, 1218, 4501, and other steam recordings. Brad Miller doctored up much of his stuff. If you want it straight from the stack, there are other sources.

Mark
> Roanoke in 1987.
> During the famous side-by-side excursion
> with 611 and 1218, someone had a rather
> professional looking audio recorder running
> in the combine behind 611.
> I'll never forget the shotgun blast of 611's
> stack, as Frank Collins walked her away from
> the 2nd runby west of Elliston without a
> slip.
> Does a good recording of this exist?


bbjimbo@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/