Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

NJ FA2
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9024
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:57 am ]
Post subject:  NJ FA2

As Winslow Jct., NJ. Is this one actually former New York Central?

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004032912191717616.jpg&bydate%3A11
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  G. Jenista [ Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NJ FA2

> As Winslow Jct., NJ.

Is Winslow Jct. location of which RR museum??

hi_plain@yahoo.com

Author:  Dave Crosby [ Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NJ FA2

Hello

I'm sure some of the other Jersey folks can elaborate further on the linieage of the unit. I believe just the nose of the engine was painted for a photo shoot some years ago (5? maybe).

Winslow Jct is a hub on the Southern Railroad of New Jersey, a freight carrier with some interesting motive power and stored equipment. I think they often run with a GP-9 or F-unit and for a while an ex Lehigh Valley C-420 was stored there as well.

Not much info, but I hope it helps some...

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net

Author:  Richard [ Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NJ FA2

The loco is one of the LIRR power cars, and yes,I believe it is ex-NYC. Somebody needs to get going on at least a cosmetic restoration. The NYC number that strike me is 1302.

Aurora7@Juno.com

Author:  Walter Hoffmann [ Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NJ FA2 *PIC*

> The loco is one of the LIRR power cars, and
> yes,I believe it is ex-NYC. Somebody needs
> to get going on at least a cosmetic
> restoration. The NYC number that strike me
> is 1302.

It is actually an exx-L&N unit, ex-LIRR 603, owned by the Anthracite RR's Historical Society. We swapped the trucks with an ex-PRR RS-3, as the LIRR removed the traction motors and did a lot of 'un-wiring' inside the unit.

We repainted the nose 11 years ago for a photo shoot, because one of our main volunteers at the ARHS was a closet NYC fan. We never thought it would stay there this long....

We will be starting a second season of re-wiring work on the unit, as it has been languishing for a few years while our main focus has been on the F3's in Jim Thorpe. We now have more volunteers who live closer to the unit, so we hope to see more progress this year.

See the picture to see how it looked before the 'nose job'. It was taken when the unit was at Swedeland PA, in the company of more FA's and FPA's owned by Engines Preservation Inc.

Richard, do you live close enough to lend a hand this summer?


Image

Author:  Richard Glueck [ Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NJ FA2

Walter, I live in Maine, but if I am down in your area, I'll certainly make the effort to stop in and offer whatever assistance I can. I have a nice picture of LIRR 603 on the point of a rush hour train in Queens Village, right after she went into service.

glueck@maine.edu

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/