Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9036
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Frederick G. Bailey [ Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

The Yahoo Delaware-Lackawanna site has a recent Scranton Times Tribune article about current trackage rights issues for the Steamtown NHS excursions--liability insurance issues.

Reading between the lines, I found Steamtown spokesman Ralph Coury's comments interesting. He mentions the 2004 excursion season's schedule, greatly reduced, as being due in part to the recently completed Comprehensive Interpretative Plan for Steamtown NHS. Anyone seen this? What does it have in store for the future of excursions?

Here's hoping that by the time B&M #3713 returns to steam, visitors will get to see her do more than back onto the turntable, go for a spin, and return to the roundhouse!

fred.gracebailey@earthlink.net

Author:  Greg U. [ Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

Does this mean the engines will be fired up and sit around the yard or with the trains still make the short trips? I believe that part of the line is owened by Steam Town but I am not totally sure. Anyone know for sure?
Greg U.

gregudolph@yahoo.com

Author:  al zubal [ Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

>Do you have a link to the yahoo site I have looked and can't find it? I would like to join to keep up on what is going on down there in Scranton and suronding area.
Thank You
Al

azubal@nycap.rr.com

Author:  Dave O. [ Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

> Thank You
> Al
I think that either the state or Pa counties own the railroad I think. One other thing to chew on the money for passenger service is becoming available and it won't be long before you see NJ Transit in Scranton. I wish I could give you more detailed information. But dam it I'm on vacation and enjoying a very nice Ommegang Hennipan Belgin syle Ale. The info is good though and I might add so is the Hennipan.

memnon11075@earthlink.net

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

> Does this mean the engines will be fired up
> and sit around the yard or with the trains
> still make the short trips?

I think we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves worrying too much about the "only in the yard in 2004" scenario. Steamtown has a schedule for 2004 excursions on their Web site, and I am personally confident that the insurance issue will be worked out. The schedule is definately lighter than in past years, but it seems nearly certain to me that trains will run to Carbondale, Tobyhanna, and the Gap in 2004.

I believe that
> part of the line is owened by Steam Town but
> I am not totally sure. Anyone know for sure?
> Greg U.

The only track Steamtown NHS owns is the Scranton yard trackage. All excursions outside the immediate yard limits operate on former D&H or DL&W track owned by the Lackawanna County Railroad Authority, a public agency of Lackawanna County. Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad, a division of Genessee Valley Transportation Co., is the licensed freight operator on both lines, and they provide dispatching services for Steamtown's trains.


eledbetter@rypn.org

Author:  Frederick G. Bailey [ Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

Delaware Lackawanna Yahoo site
fred.gracebailey@earthlink.net

Author:  al zubal [ Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Comprehensive Interpretative Plan

Thank You for the link

azubal@nycap.rr.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/