It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:48 am 

In an article on trainorders.com concerning the relocation of SP 2252 at Roseville, CA, the following quote appeared:

"Phase I is moving the locomotive, no easy chore, considering it weighed 142,250 pounds when fully loaded. Phase II involves proper lighting at its new site, a commemorative plague, refurbishing of the engine, plus sight improvements."

I'm really curious about the commemorative plague...will it be bubonic, or what? I love typos.



Union Electrc of Illinois No. 3
dougb@sunserver.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:29 am 

Typos? Perhaps typhos? [Another typo plague!]

> I'm really curious about the commemorative
> plague...will it be bubonic, or what? I love
> typos.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:20 pm 

Don't overlook the sight (site?) improvements.

bakerst@best.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:45 am 

> In an article on trainorders.com concerning
> the relocation of SP 2252 at Roseville, CA,
> the following quote appeared:

> "Phase I is moving the locomotive, no
> easy chore, considering it weighed 142,250
> pounds when fully loaded. Phase II involves
> proper lighting at its new site, a
> commemorative plague, refurbishing of the
> engine, plus sight improvements."

> I'm really curious about the commemorative
> plague...will it be bubonic, or what? I love
> typos.

Got 2 there! This is exactly why spell-check programs need *human beings* to proof-read the text. Both "plague" and "sight" are legitimate words, and are correctly spelled - but are the wrong words. This reminds me of something I read a while ago, that referred to a toll *bride*!!


  
 
 Post subject: available for consultation
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:35 am 

> Don't overlook the sight (site?)
> improvements.

as a railroad preservation volunteer and professional optometrist, I resemble that comment!

Heber Valley Railroad
utweyesguy@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:52 am 

"Plague," eh?

Preservation -"contagious?" ;-)


SJHussar@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:59 am 

> "Plague," eh?

> Preservation -"contagious?" ;-)

Let's hope it is!


kevin.r.gillespie@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: SP 2252
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:22 am 

I hope someone out there helps those guys with proper preparation for moving this engine. When I corresponded with them about polishing and greasing journals, etc., they responded that it didn't matter because the engine was only going to be a static display and the bearings had probably been ruined long ago anyway.

ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Unusual Honor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:41 pm 

> Don't overlook the sight (site?) improvements. <

They might be referring to the appearance of the display as viewed (sighted) by observers. Lawyers sometimes write about the sight lines of a site.
As for the plague, since it's a steam loco, we're probably dealing with the Black Plague.


104577.651@compuserve.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: