It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: looking for reflector for Pyle National headlight
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:26 pm 

I have searched through GOOGLE trying to find a supplier for concave mirrors. There is one site, but I think the mirrors are more for scientific applications rather than transportation.

I have found places that re-silver mirrors / reflectors, but am running short on finding a supplier / producer of concave mirrors.

Any ideas, or anyone have one for sale?

Mark

bando7604@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:06 pm 

Try theatrical lighting suppliers to see if there may be a metallic reflector off the shelf which can be made to fit. Stage lights are made with spherical, ellipsoidal, parabolic, and parellipspherical reflectors in a variety of diameters.

Worst comes to worst, you can make a wooden form in the lathe and spin a copper reflector which can then be plated. It may require several successive annealings.

I have used stainless steel salad bowls from Wal Mart before.

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:39 pm 

The salad bowls we put on our GE 50 tonner look great and you can almost make out the cut lever in the dark!

neilpr@sympatico.ca


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:54 pm 

Watch ebay, I have seen some headlights in not to good shape with good reflectors. Never can tell what will show up there.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:23 pm 

We used a reflector from a NW-2 headlight these show up as surplus from time to time on E-bay as well as various suppliers of used parts for locomotives. One other possible source is Bernie Watts of Backshop Services in the Denver Area. Sorry I dont have and address.

johndeck@cox.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:46 pm 

I have a related question. I'm in the process of cleaning and restoring one of the headlights on our EMC model 40, and I'd like to get the reflector replated or polished.

How would a 1940s vintage Pyle headlight reflector be made? The one I took out of ours is aluminim, and is either silver plated, or simply polished aluminim with a clear anodized finish. Is this likely original or someone's replacement.

> I have searched through GOOGLE trying to
> find a supplier for concave mirrors. There
> is one site, but I think the mirrors are
> more for scientific applications rather than
> transportation.

> I have found places that re-silver mirrors /
> reflectors, but am running short on finding
> a supplier / producer of concave mirrors.

> Any ideas, or anyone have one for sale?

> Mark


Travel Town Museum
greg@cscvrr.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: looking for reflector for Pyle National headli
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:52 pm 

> I have a related question. I'm in the
> process of cleaning and restoring one of the
> headlights on our EMC model 40, and I'd like
> to get the reflector replated or polished.

> How would a 1940s vintage Pyle headlight
> reflector be made? The one I took out of
> ours is aluminim, and is either silver
> plated, or simply polished aluminim with a
> clear anodized finish. Is this likely
> original or someone's replacement.

Pyle made a cheaper headlight reflector out of something they called "Alzak". It was lighter and less expensive than the nice glass/mirrored ones. Basically highly polished aluminum (an alloy with Zamak??) with the clear anodizing that you see, to prevent dulling.


hpincus@mindspring.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: