Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

FGS No. 4 - Baldwin/Westinghouse No 750 *PIC*
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9152
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Ben True [ Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:47 am ]
Post subject:  VC G5s

Well I wish we could be as optimistic as a week....how about 4?

1286 has had the form 4 calculations and needs a flue job, flues are on site and ready, but Jack hasn't seen the need to reflue with no place to go....yet

1238 needs complete part 230 work, but it's not expected to take too long consider the shape she's in. She's also waiting on her trailing truck installation which I think has now reached it's 3rd year, how ever all the parts are on sight and it's basicly waiting on a every body having the time to provide the labor
(an as per norm, the backhoe is down)

both engine either have the second water glass installed or waiting installation

as for their future, we'll have to wait in see, some major changes have/are occuring in the Staunton area and tourism is the main foucs of the city now, what better draw?



btrue@vt.edu

Author:  Jimmy Bryant [ Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:28 am ]
Post subject:  FGS No. 4 - Baldwin/Westinghouse No 750 *PIC*

I thought I’d share this photo of Fruit Growers Supply Company - Lassen Operation’s (Susanville Operation after the 1944 purchase of Red River’s Westwood) No. 4, a 90-ton three truck shay locomotive, a former McCloud engine. I purchased the “Real Photo Post Card” on E-bay a few weeks ago from a person that listed it as taken by Robert P. Morris of Brooklyn, NY.

In the auction listing there was no mention of the date of the photograph. When the photo arrived, I noticed penciled on the back a date of 21 August 1950, this being the day before a representative or representatives of either Baldwin or/and Westinghouse visited this operation for preparation work prior to an October trial of Baldwin/WestinghouseÂ’s DS-4-4-750/1. The Baldwin/Westinghouse demo unit No. 750 was purchased by Weyerhaeuser Timber Company shortly after the FGS October demo, and became its No. 101.

I would certainly enjoy finding out if Robert P Morris of Brooklyn, NY took the photo, as well as if he worked for either Baldwin or Westinghouse. For more information about the FGS 1950 demo, visit this page; http://home.att.net/~lassen.logger/fgs20.htm - for a 1984 photo of Weyerhaeuser Timber CompanyÂ’s No. 101 which was the Baldwin/Westinghouse demo loco No. 750, visit this address; http://home.att.net/~lassen.logger/C13-84.htm

Any information or comments would be welcome.

Jimmy “B”
Reno, NV



Image
lassen.logger@worldnet.att.net

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/