Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

*If you have submitted a Brief....
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9172
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Good quote.

This companion story of Smokey Joe is short on accuracy, but I like the quote below:

"You could pick out the future mechanics every time. It was the little boy who lingered beside the engine after the ride, looking it all over, even stooping to peer into the fire box when the engineer fired up. Nothing escaped him. You knew he was thinking how he was going to be an engineer when he grew up and drive a real engine."

As one whose first exposure to steam was an ancient amusement park Cagney, I wonder how many others among us had the same experience, and is it relevant to the "Steam Survival" topic above?



http://www.hampton.lib.nh.us/hampton/history/holman/smokeyjoe.htm
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Art Miller [ Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Young Volunteer Development Programs

> I don't know of any program specifically
> designed to address this other than NRHS'
> and Steamtown's RailCamp. I'd be very
> interested to learn of any other programs
> specifically targeted at younger volunteers.

> I guess the answer to this will differ
> according to the political views of the
> answerer. From where I sit, it seems current
> law offers plenty of freedom for endowing
> any nonprofit organization--its easy to do
> with the help of any competent estate
> planning attourny and it offers a lot of tax
> incentives already.

A young volunteer development program that has really worked would be wonderful information to have. Keeps every organization from having to reinvent the wheel. While "one size fits all" approach may not work, each organization has a lot of smart people who would know how to tailor the basic program to their group's specific needs.


amiller@rtms-movietrains.com

Author:  Rob Davis [ Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  *If you have submitted a Brief....

If you have a submitted a Brief to me and haven't seen it published, I have bad news: my Mac is having a tough week and all of my RYPN files are gone, if not permanently then at least for a very long time.

If you still have the files, you can resubmit them. It is probably best to send them to Erik right now, as I have no idea when I am going to be back in action as I should be.

I apologize to Steve, Stephen, Brian and the others whose files I cannot access.

Rob Davis

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/