Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Newark Public Service Demolition
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9194
Page 1 of 1

Author:  J.B.Bane [ Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Many connections between SVRy and WP&Y

There has been a lot of equipment shuffled back and forth between the SVRy and WP&Y, for 2 railroads so far apart geograpically.
The first exchange that I have heard of was not of equipment but of consulting. Legend has it at SVRy that in the late 30's when the WP&Y was preparing to order the 70 class engines, SVRy's master mechanic was hired to consult in their design. I'd love to know if their are any WP&Y officianados that can confirm this.
The second transaction that I know of was the sale of SVRy 19 and 20 with the Baldwin tenders to WP&Y. Next was probably the tranfer of SVRy cabeese 3 and 4 to the army for use on the WP&Y. I guess some of the SVRy ACF pass equipment was also sold to the army. I think more SVRy pass. equipment was sold about 1947 along with some flat cars to the WP&Y.
Then you have the return of 19 and 20 in 1977? and the purchase of the rotary which SVRR eventually sold to some folks in Breckinridge Co. Did SVRR get any other equipment at this time? When did the 7 EBT hoppers come down from the WP&Y to SVRR? When did the 2 container flats come to SVRR? When did SVRR get caboose 3 back? Similarly when did SVRR get tank car 61? I think there was some deal in which SVRR bought about 75 freight car trucks from the WP&Y. I was told that some of the trucks went to the C&TS and elswhere in Colorado, where I am not sure, and that the 61 tank car may have been part of this trade, like maybe it actually went to the C&TS then to SVRR in exchange for trucks?
Then somewhere in all this trading, there is the WP&Y 1 lunger speeder, with a bunch of extra speeder engines and part. I assume these came with one of these 2 or 3 different deals. Then as stated in the other posts on this thread, there was the return of the 190 tenders back north. Very confusing to say the least.


http://www.svry.com
jamesbane@hotmail.com

Author:  Rob Davis [ Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:51 am ]
Post subject:  Newark Public Service Demolition

The city of Newark, NJ continues in the grand tradition of "revitalization" of NJ's urban areas by demolishing anything older than an acorn. Riders on the NEC will notice the fine brick Public Service building adjacent to Newark Penn Station is now gone. Long a favorite of mine, it boasted cement medallions of the PS logo cast.

Rob

PS: BTW, before renewal grabs the hilly west side of the city, if you venture out to the end of the PRR's old West Side Branch you will be rewarded with much evidence of the street-side hill operation, old factories and some huge cast concrete bumpers featuring the PRR keystone.

PPS: Anyone interested in downtown Newark's architecture should move fast to visit, as the coming hockey arena will obliterate at least 4 blocks.


trains@robertjohndavis.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/