Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Re: Experiences with Thomas
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9195
Page 1 of 1

Author:  mid-west locomotive & [ Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SV-WP&Y tenders

The two tender under frames and the one tank located in Carcross are the ones that came back from SVRY. The second tank was put behind the # 73 to replace the dented that it was operating with.The dented tank is sitting on a flat car in the Skagway yard.

greenchili@tds.net

Author:  Robby Peartree [ Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Younger Preservationists

> Thanks, Mike!

> I would love someone who knows the FRA regs
> that deal with minimum age to post here. I
> am only repeating what I was told by one of
> the managers of our RR museum. I hope he was
> wrong about the inflexibility of the rule
> about no under-18 persons being allowed to
> do any work at all. After all, how are we
> going to pass on our knowledge if we have to
> discourage young people from helping us??

> The FRA has nationwide jurisdiction, so I
> would think that their rules would overrule
> those of any state department.

> I think that Railcamp is an excellent idea.
> I ve heard more than one adult say that they
> wished they could go!

> Margaret M.

I think one needs to be careful with the language here. A volunteer and employee have different legal meanings in many cases. When I asked an FRA official about my status, considering my age at the time of 14(in 1986), I was told that my situation did not apply as I was a volunteer and not an employee and therefor the rules on child labor did not apply. Liability issues aside, what attorney is going to press changes about a child volunteering in their community with the number of teen issues of today? I have a feeling the potential benefits to the child will out weigh the potential harm. If the child has a goal and determination, work in such an area could help keep the kid motivated.

My biggest area of concern is the level of experience with any volunteer. If the volunteer does not have a strong background with industrial issues then it is paramount that they get strong training in safety practices and are watched closely to ensure that good habits are developed. By teaming new volunteers with older hands, good working relationships and skill development can happen. This fellowship can create a stronger and more stable volunteer base for the organization to draw from.

Robby



epsw271@aol.com

Author:  Boyd Owens [ Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Experiences with Thomas

> Unless Thomas does return to TV in the near
> future, I give the Thomas events another 2-3
> years at most. It's already dying out.
Dying out? According to the HITmen (HIT Entertainment), their revenues from Thomas were up 23% in the last 6 months.
It would be interesting to know how much of that profit came from DOWT events.

Boyd



Article on HIT Entertainment profits (scroll down)
bowens@rypn.org

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/