It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Old Railroad Machine Tools
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:56 pm 

Is there a web page that details the machine tools that the railroad used to keep their steam locomotives maintained?

Thanks

Tim

fltenwheeler@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Train yard ruins
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:25 pm 

Shaun,

I can't help you in your quest, but I did want to thank you for your awesome photography. Your pictures of Witte's Marine boatyard in "The Boatyard" left me wondering where in the world you photographed them; and was one of the main inspirations for my "Surviving World Steamship" Project.

Roughly three years later, I can now tell you the identity of many of the vessels in the your pictures, and have referred dozens to your website; of which at least one has bought your book. Keep up the great work.

On a somewhat similiar note, Larry Tucker sent me some pictures he took of the Solvey Coke Plant site in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I added some more of them to the Photo Gallery below, bringing the total at this point to 73. He sent me yet another CD-ROM last week, and I will add twenty or so more in the days to come.

There are no definite plans in place, but the developer is interested in preserving both the compressor house and the boilerhouse. The remainder of the plant site is coming down fast; I believe most of the railcar remains visible in his pictures from two months ago are gone now.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

> I've become interested in photographing some
> rail subjects that relate to some of the
> industrial subjects I have photographed. I
> did a brief shoot last week of some abandon
> railcars and engines in my area, linked
> here.

> http://www.oboylephoto.com/trainyard

> I'm wondering if anyone on this forum might
> have heard of any similar sites in the New
> England area that one can access to
> photograph. Cars, round houses, engines
> would all be of interest. The older and more
> decrepit the better.
> It does indeed related to the other site I
> have been photographing for many years and I
> have wanted to explore the rail aspect of
> industrial sites for some time.
> Any suggestions you might have would be
> appreciated.
> Shaun


Solvay Coke Plant, Milwaukee, WI
james@survivingworldsteam.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Old Railroad Machine Tools
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:24 am 

> Is there a web page that details the machine
> tools that the railroad used to keep their
> steam locomotives maintained?

> Thanks

> Tim

Not quite the answer to your question, but keeping a railroad 'on track' involved more than just machine tools. There is a very good website, www.owwm.com that is devoted to old woodworking machines. At IRM we are doing pretty well in adding to woodshop capabilities and have several pics of our restored 'old iron' on the owwm Photo Index pages. Check under Manufacturers: Berlin, Faye & Egan, and Greenlee.

Bob Kutella


68trolley@comcast.net


  
 
 Post subject: NYSW 2400, 2402 for sale
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:17 pm 

The above captioned locomotives are for sale on Barnhardt's website. Anybody know why Suzy-Q is selling? Another victim of liability crunch?


NYSW 2400 for sale on DF Barnhardt
superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: