| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Quincy RR to quit? https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9227 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | davew833 [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: My Steve Lee Hero Story/Getting Youth into Ste |
I'm actually a few years older than John, but I can attest that on a couple of occasions that I encountered him at Heber Valley RR, he treated me just as he's described below, age notwithstanding. Thanks, John, and good luck in Ohio! > Last year I attended a meeting of the > Engineering Standards Committee. This is the > group responsible for writing and placing > into effect the new steam rules (49CFR Part > 230) as well as a number of other projects > related to steam. > During the meeting, the general attendees at > the meeting (the meetings are public > meetings) were asked by the panel members > what it will take to get the youth involved > in steam. My reply was something as follows; > I grew up under the shadow of the all mighty > Steve Lee. Steve, in my book was, and to a > great extent still is my ultimate steam > hero. As a young 16 year old, I worked as a > steam engineer for a large amusement park in > Utah. As engineer, I would dress in a black > t-shirt as Steve and his crew often did. I > would suck on sticks of beef jerky as if > smoking a big Steve Lee cigar and I tried to > be ruff and gruff as I thought Steve always > was. I even had a name badge on my hat that > said “I wish I were Steve Lee” (I still have > the badge). > After serving a mission for my church in > 1993-1995, I returned home with a new vision > of myself and what I could become. I > realized that I will never be Steve Lee. I > will however, be John Rimmasch. I will be > John for the rest of my life. I had a > decision to make. Live in the shadow of my > hero, or become what I am today. > Having read the postings on what it will > take to include the youth, I offer the > following questions and ask with all of my > heart, that the next time you see a young > man looking at you as if you were a hero, > that you would apply these simple questions > to the way you act. I was impressionable, so > are the youth to follow me. > READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE: > When you see a young person, do you go out > of your way to say nothing more than Hello? > If not…. Why not? > When a young person asks you a question, do > you answer the question as if it were the > most important question you had ever been > asked? If not, why not? > Do you conduct yourself in a manner that > invites a young person to be around you? If > not….are you part of the good ol’ boys > club…..if so, why? > Do you treat others the way you want to be > treated? If not, why not? > If you had a chance to ask Steve Lee any > question in the world, how would you like > Steve to treat you…….remember that feeling > when you growl at a young person. > The youth of the world view you as the Steve > Lee in their life. You make the impression > not by a program you run, or the size of > engine you operate or the number of > passengers you haul. You make the impression > by being you………An older person that a > younger person wants to become. Be a good > example and treat others with respect. > In closing, Thank you Steve Lee, Doyle M, > Lyn and all the rest for being my hero. I > still look up to you and always will…….. > In twenty years from now, will some young > eight year old say the same of me and you? I > sure hope he will. > John E. Rimmasch > CMO > Ohio Central Steam davew833@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Marty Knox [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:50 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Saddle Tank Engines in Pulaski VA |
> The dealer is asking $18,000 each for the > engines. I'm sorry, but there is no way that those locomotives that kind of money. Scrap is only bringing a penny or two a pound. The big question is has the asbestos been removed from them? There is a significant cost to properly remove it. Add in the cost of cutting them up and there is very little profit, if any. Lets see, 60,000 lbs. times $.01 = $600 Even at 2 cents a pound its only $1200. Sell them for 15 times the value - He'd jump at the chance. Martyhuck@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Dave K [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Harley Earl and EMD |
Check out the link below. There is a section that details Mr. Earl's relationship with EMD. > The Feb. issue of "Special Interest > Autos" contains an article about GM > auto stylist Harley Earl (whose ghost is > featured in some current Buick ads), which > states that Mr. Earl "supervised the > streamlining of the E- and F-series diesel > locomotives..." I have read a lot over > the years about these locos and about > "Mistearl", but don't ever recall > their paths crossing. Is my memory failing? > Anyone know if Mr. E. really was so > involved? (BTW, in the 1950's, another GM > auto guy, Chuck Jordan, did style the > Aerotrain, which is why the loco looks a lot > like a late '50's Cadillac.) Thanks for any > info. http://carofthecentury.com/educational_awareness.htm newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net |
|
| Author: | John Stewart [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: a contrary view, or, scrap 'em! |
Hey John; Well, as it takes roughly 100 0-4-0T's to equal the appeal of a modest ex. CNR 2-6-0, the numbers don't appear to be that badly off. ;-) But, saying that, I know of a group fairly close in proximity to me that has chosen a small 0-4-0T as a "starter" restoration. One can always agree or disagree, but the thought is that it is small, cheap, and good to make learn from does have merit. It can run just about anywhere; something that can't be said for larger locomotives. I just hope they get around to something with more steam appeal before I die of old age! :-) John Stewart Ottawa, Canada. > Of the roughly 1,700 steam locos left in the > USA, over 560 are 0-4-0 or 0-4-0t. One out > of three, roughly. Wes Barris shows 75 (!) > operational. |
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | Quincy RR to quit? |
See lead photo on Altamont Press link below. Says to end operations in May. Old Northern California shortline. Quincy 2-6-2 #2 is operable at Niles Canyon Ry., Quinch engine facilities were subject of wooden model kits offered by Campbell Scale Models. http://railroadnews.net/news/3-22.html ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|