| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Kurt Bell, a favor, please. https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9240 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Howard P. [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Steamtown Questions from the days of VT/NH |
I'll take these in order, and it will be "off the top of the head".... > Hello > I'm hoping some of the folks involved with > Steamtown in the days before Scranton might > be able to help me out with a few questions. > I have a number of old Steamtown postcards, > and I'm trying to organize a general > chronology. > 1). I'm under the impression that the yellow > wooden coaches were first excursion > trainset, is this correct? YES > 2). When did the CNJ coaches arrive, were > the wooden coaches retired upon their > arrival? CNJ coaches were unloaded by CNJ starting about 1965-66; I recall them showing up at Steamtown by about 1966. There were some added in the 1970-73 era, as I recall. > 3). What was the operating lifespan of the > B&M Mountainier Diner at Steamtown? Not sure, but it was pretty much parked and didn't operate by 1969. It was more of a fixture on trains at Keene, NH. > 4). Roughly, what years did the CP 1278 > masquerade as the 127? 1278 was put into service in early 1966 as 127. The work included changing the Elesco coil-type FW heater to the earlier bundle-type, reportedly because FNB like the appearance "better". His plan was to renumber all the G5s to 120-series numbers-- "124, 127, 129". In 1973, 127 went to D&H's Colonie Shops to be fitted out as "D&H 653", for the D&H's 150th anniversary events. The 1278 re-emerged the following spring (1974). > 5). One of the CP pacifics (1246?) was > decked out as a Rutland engine, any time > frame? Yes, it was 1246 that became "Rutland 82" in December 1973, for a doubleheader with D&H 653, to Rutland and return. It also went back to CPR livery in 1974. > 6). When CNR 89 ran, did it first have a low > headlight and then have the headlight > mounted high? I have postcards of it in both > configurations. Don't know. I've only seen photos of high headlight 89 at Steamtown. > 7). What year did the B&M 3713 go to the > Boston Museum of Science? 1969. > 8). When did the CP Pacifics go from > "Green Mountain" lettering to thie > other paint schemes, was this upon Blount's > passing? 1246 was lettered "GREEN MOUNTAIN" from its start of service in mid-1970 until it became "RUT 82" in Dec. 1973. It was owned by GMRC until it and 1293 were sold to Steamtown Foundation in mid-1973. 1293 had never been lettered GMRC. 1278 (as 127) was lettered "Monadnock, Steamtown & Northern" during the 1966-67 era (HICO and NYNH&H trips), and was simply "Steamtown USA" during the Feb. 1968 HICO trip. I suspect 1278 was never owned by GMRC. So, hope this all helps. > I realize this is some obscure stuff, but > maybe Howard or J. David (or anyone else for > that matter) might be able to help out here. > I do appreicate any help whatsoever. > Dave Crosby hpincus@mindspring.com |
|
| Author: | CP O'Shea [ Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Are you sure you really want to know? |
> From the 1928 Sellers catalog; > 8.5 N $100 > 10.5 KNL $130 > Their least expensive injector; 3.2 N, $36 > Their most expensive injector; 15.8 KNL $265 What would your top machinist's hourly wage have been in 1928? Somehow, I don't think he'd want to preserve that part of the past... LOL... :-) Fiv4HghStk@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Richard [ Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Kurt Bell, a favor, please. |
Kurt: Would you please post the measurement of the diameter of a one of the PRR round number plates? I have the measurements for the Keystone, but would like to make a copy of a freight engine plate. Would you include the width of the yellow ring surrounding the rim? Your help is much appreciated! Thanks. Aurora7@Juno.com |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|