Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Sources of boiler studs
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9245
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Steve Zuiderveen [ Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steamtown Questions from the days of VT/NH

> 2). When did the CNJ coaches arrive, were
> the wooden coaches retired upon their
> arrival?

>CNJ coaches were unloaded by CNJ starting about 1965-66; I recall them showing up at Steamtown by about 1966. >There were some added in the 1970-73 era, as I recall.

Additionally, most of the first batch of CNJ cars ended up on a pier in Boston for some project that never panned out. Just north of Anthony's restaurant. I suspect this happened sometime in the early 70's, as there was not enough room at Steamtown for all of these cars plus all of the Long Island cars that became the Bicentenial Train.

SZuidervee@aol.com

Author:  CP O'Shea [ Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Sellers 1922 Non-Lifting Injectors

> Hello.

> This is one of those things that I'm not
> sure where to start looking for, so I
> thought I'd start here.

> I am in need of a copy of the
> blueprints/drawings for the Sellers 1922
> non-lifting injector, so that some new
> components can be machined for the one being
> used in the restoration of an ALCO 2-8-0 in
> New Jersey.

Hmmmm... a certain 1937 Alco 2-8-0 the carries the initials GWSC on the deck plate, perhaps?

Fiv4HghStk@aol.com

Author:  CP O'Shea [ Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sellers 1922 Non-Lifting Injectors

> Present pricing for the 10.5 KNL is $8500.00
> each, and for the 8.5 N, $11,000.00 each.

> The lifting injectors are more expensive due
> to having more parts (like the built in
> steam valve, etc), and generally being a
> more complex design, causing us much more
> expense in patterns, jigs and special
> tooling (all needing to be amortized into
> the price of the few that we will sell in
> this limited market), as well as more
> expense in castings per injector. Add in
> about 150 hours time for our top machinist,
> and you end up with the number above.

Kelly,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. All things considered, I'd say SRC's price sounds pretty reasonable for a new component that can't be gotten any other way...


Fiv4HghStk@aol.com

Author:  Stephen Syfrett [ Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:27 am ]
Post subject:  Sources of boiler studs

Several of the mounting studs for things such as steps, injector pipe brackets and cab attachment brackets are badly corroded on Georgia Northern 107. The worst are in the backhead and wrapper sheet areas where the lagging remained. This locomotive is currently undergoing substantial cosmetic restoration. We have successfully removed a couple of the studs and the threads in the plate are in good condition. Rather than weld on replacement studs I would prefer to keep the original construction intact by using threaded studs. I am looking for a source of studs to replace those that are in the worst condition.

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Syfrett
Albany, GA


ssyfrett@bellsouth.net

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/