Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Bethlehem Museum of Indust. History in trouble
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9278
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Paul W. Woodring [ Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Longest tourist railroad?

> Just to keep it light on this board, I've
> got a question for you knowledgeable types
> out there.

> I was at a luncheon today with the local
> chamber of commerce. Representing the only
> tourist railroad in the area, I often get
> asked questions about our business. A
> gentleman inquired as to whether I knew what
> and where was the longest tourist railroad
> in the U.S. This would be exclusively a
> tourist hauler, no freight service, e.g.
> Ohio Central.

> Most of the tourist lines I know of are
> short ones, including ours (7 miles of
> track).The ones that came to my mind were
> the Durango and Silverton and the Cumbres
> and Toltec. If you want to differentiate
> between narrow and standard gauge, OK. Any
> help on this one?

> Thanks,

I've got to believe that when the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic fully opens their extention to Canton that they would be a contender for longest standard gauge tourist line, at least East of the Mississippi. It's probably about 60 miles from Rockside Rd., Independence to Canton.
> Jack


pww57@hotmail.com

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Longtime question answered

I was at the Black Hills Central shortly after high school graduation in 1964, and I've always remembered seeing two Shays there. I knew one was the narrow gauge Oregon Lumber engine now at Hesston, Indiana, but couldn't figure out the other one until this thread. It was the J. Neils 5, now at IRM. It must have only been at Hill City briefly before moving to Illinois. A longtime question answered - what would we do without the internet?

http://www.hesston.org/Hesston_Web/shay.htm
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:44 am ]
Post subject:  Pueblo trolley project?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a project to reinstate a historic trolley line at Pueblo, Colorado. Anyone know more about it?

Pueblo trolley
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Erik Ledbetter [ Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Bethlehem Museum of Indust. History in trouble

Doesn't sound good according to this AP story...


Bethlehem Steel museum project stalled
eledbetter@rypn.org

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/