| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Boston & Maine 3713 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9279 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Strasburg 90 model |
For those who'd like a momento of northern Colorado or Strasburg, PA, there's a rare HO model of No. 90 for sale on e-Bay. Nice looking, don't know how it runs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3169623587&category=484 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | This is a test........... |
What change does this model need to accurately reflect/portray #90 at the Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are disqualified from entering!) No, we don't mean paint or the number on the number plate! LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net |
|
| Author: | Warren [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: This is a test........... |
> What change does this model need to > accurately reflect/portray #90 at the > Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are > disqualified from entering!) No, we don't > mean paint or the number on the number > plate! A shortened smokebox. captbuck@comcast.net |
|
| Author: | Jeff Frost [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:49 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: This is a test........... |
> A shortened smokebox. and the eccentrics need to be set so that the eccentric will trail the main crank pin. jsfrost@mtu.edu |
|
| Author: | Jon N. [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Strasburg 90 model *PIC* |
I'm not great at details, but couldn't this model represent AT&N 401, now stored at Mid-Continent also? AT&N #401
|
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Strasburg 90 model |
Yes, these were "stock model" decapods built by Baldwin. With work, the model could be made to represent the others. Even the Santa Fe had a few, though they looked a bit different by the end of their service life. Remembering the 90 from my youth in Colorado, it is my favorite. The model is pretty close to what is seen at Strasburg today. I think different pilot wheels and a different headlight would just about do it. The model has the shorter pre-WWII smokebox, before the GWR began burning lignite. If I recall, it was sold as representing No. 90 circa-1943. > I'm not great at details, but couldn't this > model represent AT&N 401, now stored at > Mid-Continent also? 90 in 1937 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | 1958 |
The 90 I remember, at Eaton, in 1958. It would have been nice to keep it in Colorado, but it would probably be rusting in a park instead of the magnificent machine that Strasburg has maintained so well.. 90 in 1958 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | No one passed yet............ <:-) |
Okay, we now have the model pose and an identical angle with the GWR 1958 photo........... What;s the big difference? LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net |
|
| Author: | Jim Robinson [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | well maybe... |
> Okay, we now have the model pose and an > identical angle with the GWR 1958 > photo........... > What;s the big difference? Sandy, I'll bet that in 1958 90 didn't sport a Reading 6-chime whistle! Regards, Jim Robinson |
|
| Author: | Scott [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Neophyte question |
I'm not presuming to enter the contest and I'm certainly not a modeler, but the first thing I noticed is the distance between the engine and tender. I assume that a serious modeler would shorten the drawbar here for a more realistic appearance? Scott shawsinoly@aol.com |
|
| Author: | steve [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: This is a test........... |
> What change does this model need to > accurately reflect/portray #90 at the > Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are > disqualified from entering!) No, we don't > mean paint or the number on the number > plate! Well let's see wrong lead wheels rear sand dome and steam dome are swapped on the model wrong headlight no rear headlight rear tender ladder in wrong place tender tank fill hole too narrow drawbar a tad long pretty model otherwise starspanglers@frontiernet.net |
|
| Author: | Ted Miles [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 1958 |
Amen to that! The 90 is the engine I rode behind when I rode the Strasburg RR and the only one of her wheel type I have seen in steam. Ted Miles ted_miles@nps.gov |
|
| Author: | David M. Wilkins [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:15 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Neophyte question |
As someone who dabbles in modeling, the answer is yes. It all depends on the radius. A lot of people still have 18" and 22" radius layouts, which are really too small for prototypical operation, thus the long drawbar between the locomotive and tender. david.wilkins@bardstown.com |
|
| Author: | Alexander D. Mitchell IV [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | BZZZZZZZ--time's up............ |
> What change does this model need to > accurately reflect/portray #90 at the > Strasburg today? (Linn and Kurt are > disqualified from entering!) No, we don't > mean paint or the number on the number > plate! Okay, I had it pointed out to me that most contestants will misunderstand Warren's wrong answer and think I'm looking for something else. The model portrays 90 as she arrived at the GWRR. Later in her life, the smokebox was EXTENDED, not shortened. She runs in this configuration today, and if you compare the two photos as suggested, the extension is obvious. I believe the extension had to do with the GWRR's desire to burn a lower grade of coal (lignite?). LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net |
|
| Author: | Jim Robinson [ Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: BZZZZZZZ--time's up............ |
> Okay, I had it pointed out to me that most > contestants will misunderstand Warren's > wrong answer and think I'm looking for > something else. > The model portrays 90 as she arrived at the > GWRR. Later in her life, the smokebox was > EXTENDED, not shortened. She runs in this > configuration today Ummm... NOW I'm really confused... 90 has been running with a shortened smokebox (extension removed or some other surgery) for quite a while (maybe 10 years?), so the model actually "matches" the current prototype in terms of the smokebox. I believe the extension had to do > with the GWRR's desire to burn a lower grade > of coal (lignite?). Yes, burning lignite during WWII was the reason for the smokebox modifications on the GWR locomotives. 2-8-0's 51, 60, and 75 retain their extensions. Regards, Jim Robinson |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|