It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Oldest operating tourist railroad
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:00 am 

> What is the oldest operating tourist
> railroad line reguardless of if its in a
> Theme park or railroad line.

WP&YR since 1898, though not always exclusively a tourist railroad.


mike211@yknet.ca


  
 
 Post subject: Trip on Joseph Branch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:52 am 

Motorcar trip over the former UP Joseph Branch in eastern Oregon. I believe they are trying to start a tourist train there now. Looks pretty scenic.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~nldoncas/nicspages/PNWfolder/joseph.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Best looking 10-wheelers *PIC*
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:25 am 

Don't forget the husky look of the PRR/LIRR G5s. Personally I like the LIRR ones better with the larger tenders that compliment the locomotive.

Roger


Image
belpaire@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2760 being placed in park
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:15 pm 

What a great image! There's an idea for a book; locomotives going on display and as they appear today. Having photographed the 2760 extensively, two years ago, I can attest to her poor condition, yet I really don't believe she beyond restoration, even restoration to operation. There are three ex-C&O Kanawhas that I am aware of in Virginia. Each has been through hard times. While each locomotive has been vandalized over the years, there is also some light to be seen. 2732 was recently moved to a new location in Richmond. SHe was not torched apart, but correctly separated from her tender. The loco in Newport News has been cosmetically restored by the town after they recognized her state of decay. Lynchburg's is the least among equals, and need extra attention. Between the three, I'm betting that at least one could be made operable again. I'd like it to be Lynchburg's, simply because it defies the situation she is presently in. She's been in a wet area for forty years, but I am not yet willing to surrender her to time and the elements.


glueck@maine.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trip on Joseph Branch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:27 pm 

> Motorcar trip over the former UP Joseph
> Branch in eastern Oregon. I believe they are
> trying to start a tourist train there now.
> Looks pretty scenic.
Several trips from Wallowa into the scenic Wallowa River Canyon were already made in the late fall and in Nov. by the excursion train. 4 round trip were made on the line from Joseph down to Enterprise and back just before Christmas with sold out trains. 3 runs specifially for kids and 1 for the general public. Presently running a tourist train into Elgin is a problem as UP still owns the last 1/2 mile of track into Elgin and the most practical boarding area at that end of the line. I understands negotiations are pending on this both for the excursion train and for bringing freight on into Elgin. The last I heard was that WURA and the INP who leases the Elgin to LaGrande part from UP were interchanging at Gulling siding outside of Elgin. I expect that there will be an announcment by early Spring of a schedule for tourist excursion operations for the upcomming Summer season.


jamesbane@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: New Jersey rail park question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:05 pm 

In the link below: Was this the line into Fort Dix that saw the last PRR steam in 1959 (an 0-6-0 that was later scrapped)? What was the name? Union RR or something like that?


http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/southjersey/m032804j.htm
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: