Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Unusual Honor
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9330
Page 1 of 1

Author:  JCG [ Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: boiler studs

I would appreciate and
> knowledgable comments from experienced
> boiler people. Thanks, John

I don't claim to be knowledgable or experienced but what you are doing works for me. I heat the area around the stud then stick a ice cube on the stud. This seems to make the job a lot easier and doesn't take as much heat on the shell.

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Kirklees Light Railway

Impressive 15-inch gauge setup in the UK. Offers a steam footplate experience course.

http://www.kirkleeslightrailway.com/
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Bob Yarger [ Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Big and small on the 15"

At the Cleethorpes Light Railway in the UK. Size comparison of a half-size version of Sandy River 2-6-2 24 and an old Cagney class D.

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/srrl24/gallery.htm
ryarger@rypn.org

Author:  Hugh Odom [ Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kirklees Light Railway

> Impressive 15-inch gauge setup in the UK.
> Offers a steam footplate experience course.

Another bit of interesting info: the Kirklees Light Railway has fitted multiple-jet exhausts (Lempor) to several of their locomotives and has fitted simplified Gas Producer Combustion Systems (GPCS) to three. The GPCS installations resulted in reduced cinder throwing, a reduction in the formation of clinkers, and reduced fire cleaning times all of which were big benefits on this busy railway.

Good Steaming,
Hugh Odom


The Ultimate Steam Page
whodom2001@yahoo.com

Author:  Doug Bailey [ Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Unusual Honor

In an article on trainorders.com concerning the relocation of SP 2252 at Roseville, CA, the following quote appeared:

"Phase I is moving the locomotive, no easy chore, considering it weighed 142,250 pounds when fully loaded. Phase II involves proper lighting at its new site, a commemorative plague, refurbishing of the engine, plus sight improvements."

I'm really curious about the commemorative plague...will it be bubonic, or what? I love typos.




Union Electrc of Illinois No. 3
dougb@sunserver.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/