It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Stewartstown "Farewell?" Derails on Last Run
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:21 pm 

The life and times of the Stewartstown Railroad in south-central Pennsylvania *may* have come to an ignominious end today, as the last of a weekend series of "Easter Bunny Expresses" derailed on the "Iron Bridge" about two miles outside of Stewartstown at about 3:20 today while en route to the Easter-egg hunt.

Wide gauge caused by rotting ties was the culprit, dropping the wheels of the train's three coaches into the gauge on alternating sides, lopping off the ancient rail joint bolts in the process. The train derailed for approximately two hundred feet, with the train coming to a stop atop the "Iron Bridge" overpass (a relocated pony truss, one of perhaps 20 iron bridges left in the nation in any form; its load-bearing duties had been replaced by a plate girder years ago).

Fortunately for the Stewartstown, the railroad had both locomotive #9, "Mighty Mo", a Plymouth, and a Reading MU coach in reserve. Both were pressed into duty to shuttle the passengers back to Stewartstown. There were no injuries reported, and the Easter eggs were swiftly collected and distributed to the children while they awaited the shuttle. Also on hand was a section car and a "posse" of Stewartstown volunteers and employees, some holdovers from the Northern Central "Liberty Limited" operation, who rerailed the recalcitrant cars back onto the rails by nightfall.

What of the future of the Stewartstown? It's hard to say. Insofar as today's operation, it is best to note that this weekend's runs (no runs were planned on Easter) were the last SCHEDULED runs. No further operations have been planned for the railroad, which apparently is still buying its trip insurance on a trip-by-trip basis. There is nothing preventing another charter. However, the right-of-way has suffered from tremendous neglect of late, and now resembles the worst of the old Penn Central branch line operations just before Conrail, with nearly all the ties returning steadily to nature. In addition, trains have not operated to New Freedom in perhaps over a year, with a washout reported on the final stretch of the Stewartstown into New Freedom and mud and gravel observed covering the track at one point in Tolna (halfway between Stewartstown and New Freedom). The weekend's Easter trips ran only as far as the Hopewell Township building, near the summit of the line along Rt. 851.

If so--Farewell to thy greatness.........

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stewartstown "Farewell?" Derails on Last Run
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:55 pm 

Thats too bad to hear...

I rode the first train today, a pleasant suprise since I didn't think some frieds and I were going to be able to get tickets. Never having been there before, I was truely impressed with the "timewarp" I had heard so much about. The whole line remained me a lot of the Lowville & Beaver River railroad (which my employer operates) in many ways.

You're correct about the differed maitenance, I kind of held my breath a few times on the trip, guess I had reason too.

Here's hoping for a minor miracle sometime...

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Say "hello" sometime........
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:59 pm 

> I rode the first train today, a pleasant
> suprise since I didn't think some frieds and
> I were going to be able to get tickets.

Guess I should have told you I'd be the crazy guy chasing, wearing the reflectorized vest.......... were you the chap in the UP hat?

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Say "hello" sometime........
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:07 am 

Hey

No, but I think I know who you were now that you mentiioned it... One of these days we'll have to have an east-coast RYPN get together in a central location.

DBC

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: East coast RYPN get together
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:14 am 

Hi
That sounds like a great Idea of having an East coast RYPN get together. It would be nice to meet some of the people I have talked too here.
for a central location you might think of North Carolina. but I guess you would need a poll to see where the most people could get to, whether PA,NY,VA.WV,NC,SC or GA. Where ever it is maybe one or two groups could get together and Host it.
Ideas Ideas
Andrew Martin
TWVRPS

> Hey

> No, but I think I know who you were now that
> you mentiioned it... One of these days we'll
> have to have an east-coast RYPN get together
> in a central location.

> DBC


amartin@wlu.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Re: East coast RYPN get together
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:56 pm 

Let's all drop in on Erik in Baltimore next month.

Actually, i made the mistake of warning him about an impending visit well enough in advance that he could schedule time away while I am in town.

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Possible Venue; B&O Museum Reopening
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:03 pm 

Gentlemen,

I would suggest the weekend of November 13, when the B&O Museum is scheduled to reopen. Maryland is about as central a location as you can get, and we could all celebrate the reopening of one of railroad history's most hallowed shrines.

kevin.r.gillespie@verizon.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Possible Venue; B&O Museum Reopening
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:54 am 

This is actually a pretty good idea. I think Maryland is about as central as we're going to get, if we are looking at the entire east coast and not simply the Northeast. Of course, I think some of the gang want to get together at TrainFestival 2004 at Dennison as well. No reason not to do both.

When the B&O opening gets closer I may take a pool and see if there's enough demand to get reservations for dinner somewhere in Baltimore.

eledbetter@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Open invite: Rail Days May 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:18 am 

If y'all would like to have a get together prior to Ohio and prior to B&O, get on down to Spencer May 1. Order your a BBQ ticket by April 20 by calling 877 NCTM FUN. Come on down. I'm the train dispatcher for the weekend and it's always fun!


http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open invite: Rail Days May 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:16 pm 

Jim

Put will ya'all put some of that BBQ sauce on ice untill I make it down Labor Day weekend? (crossing fingers...)

Think the B&O get together is a great idea, with perhaps a preamble get together at Trainfest....?

Dave Crosby

bing@epix.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Open invite: Rail Days May 1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:55 pm 

Jim and everybody
Hey I know what tha barbecue is like in NC it is some of the best on the east coast I think.
Not sure I will make it on May 1 because I have to be in Harrisonburg VA for a show there on May 2. bie a mighty long trip for sure. I do get to the NCTM fairly often though.
Andrew Martin
TWVRPS

> Put will ya'all put some of that BBQ sauce
> on ice untill I make it down Labor Day
> weekend? (crossing fingers...)

> Think the B&O get together is a great
> idea, with perhaps a preamble get together
> at Trainfest....?

> Dave Crosby


amartin@wlu.edu


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: