It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:09 pm 

Hi guys,

Looking for some recommendations for online material on the technical aspects of steam locomotives. Also, any book recommendations as well.

Thanks!

Jason Hissong

jhisson1@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:50 pm 

Hey Jason,
It was good meeting you over the weekend. What kind of technical books are you looking for. If you are looking for books about specific things like injectors and running gear and stuff like that the best place to start is Scranton Textbook Company books. They put out a whole series on the different parts of the steam engines. They are very indepth. I have a large collection of them and they are worth reading.

The best place to start looking for them is train shows and Ebay. They come up every once in a while. That is at least a good place to start.
Greg Udolph

gregudolph@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:29 pm 

Hi Jason, one of the best parts of the OC weekend was meeting a number of fellows who post on RyPN. I got to meet yourself, T. J., and Jack. It is great to put a face behind a name. I have to go along with Greg, those textbooks are excellent if you can find them. I have been using a book called - Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance by Rail Heritage Publications. It was published by Simmons-Boardman in 1980. I think this would be a good starting book for you. You will not be overwhelmed. I would be pleased to look for other books as we travel to a number of large RR shows around the country. Just let us know if there is anything special that you are looking for. We are looking for more younger fellows to become interested in steam. Thanks for coming out this weekend!!!

steamfan@crusoe.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:50 pm 

Hugh Odom's ULTIMATE STEAM PAGE and associated links.

dave

irondave@bellsouth.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:55 pm 

Jason,
A really good find, as far as books go, are some of the old locomotive catechisms. Some of the better know ones were Forney's and Grimshaws.
They are great references on operating steam locomotives.
You can search Ebay for them or check out big city library sales of books that are no longer being checked out. Another source are railroadiana sales, but the prices will be higher.
Good Luck,
Bruce Pierce

> Hi guys,

> Looking for some recommendations for online
> material on the technical aspects of steam
> locomotives. Also, any book recommendations
> as well.

> Thanks!

> Jason Hissong


http://www.midsouthrail.org
brucepierce@frankelectro.com


  
 
 Post subject: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:21 pm 

Don't spend all your time online - if you really want to understand how a steam engine works, build one! Stuarts and Tiny Power single cylinder engines are a good starting point, before you tackle a locomotive. Even if you just make a mockup of a cylinder, drive wheel, and valve gear you will learn a lot about how a steam engine functions. They used to sell valve gear demonstrators - originals bring big bucks these days, but you can make your own cheaply. Not only will this help you gain understanding of how they operate, you get experience working with your hands. It's also a big plus to have the ability to not only start a project, but finish it as well.

Martyhuck@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:09 pm 

Ron,

It was awesome to meet you guys as well! I am very excited to learn more about the technical aspects of steam. I have also been reading up on fundamentals like Air brakes on modern trains. Very interesting stuff.

I do own a copy of that book and it is excellent. I will go back to it and read some more.

BTW... I tried replying to your email but it bounced back saying I was spam. I will look at the list that you sent me and get back to you somehow.

Thanks again!
Jason

jhisson1@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:17 pm 

I have a little Jensen steam engine which is fun to watch. I think it is a single stroke engine.

I have NO experience in machining so I probably could not do one of the Tiny Power engines. The bad thing about the models is that there is no way to inject new water into the boiler. You run it till it runs out of water.

I thought it would be neat to run a little steam engine that powers a generator that float charges a battery that would then be used to power my portable radio stuff (I am a ham operator). Hehehe... I would need to be able to keep water going in it.

From what I have read so far, (I have read some of the stuff from the Basic Steam Locomotive Maintenance book mentioned in a previous post of mine) I do have a basic understanding of steam overall. Just diving into the details of each component.

Anyways, thanks again!!!

Jason Hissong


jhisson1@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good technical steam info online?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:19 pm 

Greg,

It was great meeting you as well! If you are comfortable bringing some of the books along with you next time we are at the shop, that can give me a chance to look at them.

Thanks!

Jason Hissong

jhisson1@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:57 pm 

> I have NO experience in machining so I
> probably could not do one of the Tiny Power
> engines.
EVERY machinist starts out with no experience. If you don't have a lathe or other machine tools you might want to sign up for a night class. It's a good way to learn, and one of the small engines is inexpensive enough you can afford to make mistakes.

Martyhuck@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:45 pm 

Marty,

I would be willing to sign up for classes like that. These steam engines appear to still need a bioler to run am I correct?

Thanks
Jason

jhisson1@columbus.rr.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:31 pm 

> I have a little Jensen steam engine which is
> fun to watch. I think it is a single stroke
> engine.

> The bad thing about the models is
> that there is no way to inject new water
> into the boiler. You run it till it runs out
> of water.
> Jason Hissong

The models operate at 15 PSI and house water pressure is generally 40 to 50 PSI, so water injection would be easy to connect.
Or connect to a reservoir 35 ft above the boiler and let gravity do it.



mike211@yknet.ca


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Good steam info - build one!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:38 pm 

> Marty,

> I would be willing to sign up for classes
> like that. These steam engines appear to
> still need a bioler to run am I correct?

These little engines run fine on compressed air. Of course, building a boiler would be a learning experience, too. Next weekend in Southgate, Michigan(near Detroit) is the North American Model Engineering Society show - well worth a visit for anyone with even the slightest interest in mechanical things!

Martyhuck@aol.com


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: