| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| T&NO 2-8-2 No. 745 https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9410 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Doug Bailey [ Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | T&NO 2-8-2 No. 745 |
There's been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere regarding the restoration of T&NO (SP) Mike No. 745. Bill Dickerson was kind enough to provide a superb photo of the locomotive's current condition. You can see it at the link below. No. 745 dougb@sunserver.com |
|
| Author: | Jim Templin [ Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 745 |
Looks like its coming together. I do hope the get some good places to run. As an old boy brought up on the H&TC/T&NO/ SP line to Denison Texas, I am glad that they retained the homemade "tincan" sunbeam clone headlight that was characteristic of Espee power in Texas and Louisiana. I still haven't forgiven the guys at Austin for replacing theirs with a Pyle. That may be OK for California, but not for T&NO lines. jjtemplin@southernuniongroup.com |
|
| Author: | John West [ Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 745 |
Okay, I'm from California but I spent my time as an operating officer not only on the H&TC, but also on the HE&WT. Not to mention the SAAP. It was kinda neat covering railroads that were originally built in three different gauges. The barrel headlight is fine...truly T&NO...but did they really use that much silver paint? I'd suggest a graphite smoke box with a silver front. But what do the folks from California know. jbwest@att.net |
|
| Author: | Kenneth Cotton [ Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 745 |
As one of 786's caretakers,I like the headlight..I personally think it looks better than the Sunbeam headlight,but there are other displayed T&NO locomotives (SP 982) with the same headlight that we have. One of the nice things about SP power was that even in the same class,you could find some noticable differences. That's what makes them unique! Now of course,if they let us run it,then we'll leave the headlight alone... > Looks like its coming together. I do hope > the get some good places to run. > As an old boy brought up on the > H&TC/T&NO/ SP line to Denison Texas, > I am glad that they retained the homemade > "tincan" sunbeam clone headlight > that was characteristic of Espee power in > Texas and Louisiana. I still haven't > forgiven the guys at Austin for replacing > theirs with a Pyle. That may be OK for > California, but not for T&NO lines. kbcotton@flash.net |
|
| Author: | Robby Peartree [ Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 786 |
How is the 786 progressing? I had the opportunity to see it in action in 1993. She was impressive then. I hope you can get her running again. Robby > As one of 786's caretakers,I like the > headlight..I personally think it looks > better than the Sunbeam headlight,but there > are other displayed T&NO locomotives (SP > 982) with the same headlight that we have. > One of the nice things about SP power was > that even in the same class,you could find > some noticable differences. That's what > makes them unique! > Now of course,if they let us run it,then > we'll leave the headlight alone... epsw271@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 786 |
More important, at least to me, is how is Mikado #771, recntly moved from Victoria, Texas. When you think of how many of these machines were saved, and how many are being refurbished, it is a remarkable steam legacy. glueck@maine.edu |
|
| Author: | Kenneth Cotton [ Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: T&NO 2-8-2 No. 786 |
> How is the 786 progressing? I had the > opportunity to see it in action in 1993. She > was impressive then. I hope you can get her > running again. > Robby Robby: Not only will we get her running,we are looking to have her ready late next year. The new cylinder saddle is being built in Pennsylvania and should be ready for machining in June. the boiler will be ready later this year. Once all that takes place,we'll be putting this locomotive cum jigsaw puzzle back together. We are still looking for more funding to do some running gear work to make her as trouble free as possible. The tender is almost ready to go back on its new roller bearing trucks. I have not heard much from Grapevine in connection with the 771. the last plans I heard were that they were going to start working on her next year,but we will see. the only MK% in existence that is not either being restored or has been restored is SP 794 which sits at the Amtrack station in San Antonio. kbcotton@flash.net |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|