It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:02 pm 

I went to Grapevine this last weekend and got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom of the cab is completely rusted out as are parts of the
tender. The brake rigging was cut up when moved.
The tube handrailing is rusted out as are other
external piping. It was thought locally that
restoration would start in a year and could be
done for ~ $300,000.

cars4857656971@hotmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:22 am 

> It was thought locally that
> restoration would start in a year and could
> be done for ~ $300,000.

Could you determine if the asbestos lagging had been abated?

hi_plain@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:05 am 

I think the asbestos was removed in the late-1980s, after there was talk of scrapping the engine. A local person funded the removal, but I'm not sure if it included just the boiler or also the backhead, etc.. Also not sure if the contractor did any major damage, as several have.

> Could you determine if the asbestos lagging
> had been abated?


http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004041510504827111.jpg&bydate%3A3
ryarger@rypn.org


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:14 am 

> I went to Grapevine this last weekend and
> got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom
> of the cab is completely rusted out as are
> parts of the
> tender. The brake rigging was cut up when
> moved.
> The tube handrailing is rusted out as are
> other
> external piping. It was thought locally that
> restoration would start in a year and could
> be
> done for ~ $300,000.

what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not familer with the #, like to find a pic. Thanks


LL675@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:47 pm 

> what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not
> familer with the #, like to find a pic.
> Thanks

Mikado, 2-8-2.

hi_plaain@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:48 pm 

> what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not
> familer with the #, like to find a pic.
> Thanks

Oh yeah...see the website www.lasta.org for photos...

hi_plain@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:05 pm 

> Oh yeah...see the website www.lasta.org for
> photos...
Thats of SP #745, but I found one on steamlocomotive.com.
Thanks

LL675@aol.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:40 pm 

> I went to Grapevine this last weekend and
> got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom
> of the cab is completely rusted out as are
> parts of the
> tender. The brake rigging was cut up when
> moved.
> The tube handrailing is rusted out as are
> other
> external piping. It was thought locally that
> restoration would start in a year and could
> be
> done for ~ $300,000.

I don't think that 300k would even get a good start on the boiler work this engine needs. T&NO ran 'em hard to the end, and Victoria wasn't the driest of environments. The original insulation was removed about 1987, but a lot of damage had already been done. Those rust colored carbuncles on the firebox wrapper sheet used to be flexible staybolt caps.

If the experience they have had in New Orleans is any indication, Grapevine had better get ready to invest three times what they have budgeted.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:45 pm 

I'm familiar with both the 745 and the 771 and the New Orleans engine was in significantly worse condition. Nowadays, what you start with is relatively unimportant because it ALL has to be done, staybolts, firebox, flue sheets, frame, running gear. The New Orleans engine was worn to a nub by severe vandalism plus daily rain showers since 1953 while it sweated in Audubon Park, 400 yards from the Mississippi River. And now it's back in steam. If the 745 can be made to run, just about any raggedy park engine can be brought back. For $300,000? No, but if 771's firebox is passable, maybe $500,000. Until the ultrasound, no one will know. Last time I saw 771 she still had some original gauges. 745's where bludgeoned apart for scrap in the 1950's.

runner@i-55.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: SP 771 condition
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:16 am 

I inspected the 771 in Victoria, back about 3 years ago, and I can assure you that it was in much better external condition that 95% of the park locomotives I've seen. Obviously, internal inspection will make a world of difference in the evaluation, but she was far from hopeless.
Does anyone have a current picture of her since the move, or during the move?
Incidently, the park where she was displayed was connected to a school for behaviourally impaired kids, yet the locomotive suffered very little vandalism. I have some nice shots of her in the park.

glueck@maine.edu


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: