| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| SP 771 condition https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9431 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | James French [ Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | SP 771 condition |
I went to Grapevine this last weekend and got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom of the cab is completely rusted out as are parts of the tender. The brake rigging was cut up when moved. The tube handrailing is rusted out as are other external piping. It was thought locally that restoration would start in a year and could be done for ~ $300,000. cars4857656971@hotmail.com |
|
| Author: | G. Jenista [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> It was thought locally that > restoration would start in a year and could > be done for ~ $300,000. Could you determine if the asbestos lagging had been abated? hi_plain@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | Bob Yarger [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
I think the asbestos was removed in the late-1980s, after there was talk of scrapping the engine. A local person funded the removal, but I'm not sure if it included just the boiler or also the backhead, etc.. Also not sure if the contractor did any major damage, as several have. > Could you determine if the asbestos lagging > had been abated? http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2004041510504827111.jpg&bydate%3A3 ryarger@rypn.org |
|
| Author: | David [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:14 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> I went to Grapevine this last weekend and > got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom > of the cab is completely rusted out as are > parts of the > tender. The brake rigging was cut up when > moved. > The tube handrailing is rusted out as are > other > external piping. It was thought locally that > restoration would start in a year and could > be > done for ~ $300,000. what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not familer with the #, like to find a pic. Thanks LL675@aol.com |
|
| Author: | G. Jenista [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not > familer with the #, like to find a pic. > Thanks Mikado, 2-8-2. hi_plaain@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | G. Jenista [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> what wheel type is this locomotive? I'm not > familer with the #, like to find a pic. > Thanks Oh yeah...see the website www.lasta.org for photos... hi_plain@yahoo.com |
|
| Author: | David [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> Oh yeah...see the website www.lasta.org for > photos... Thats of SP #745, but I found one on steamlocomotive.com. Thanks LL675@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Jim Templin [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
> I went to Grapevine this last weekend and > got a close look at the SP 771. The bottom > of the cab is completely rusted out as are > parts of the > tender. The brake rigging was cut up when > moved. > The tube handrailing is rusted out as are > other > external piping. It was thought locally that > restoration would start in a year and could > be > done for ~ $300,000. I don't think that 300k would even get a good start on the boiler work this engine needs. T&NO ran 'em hard to the end, and Victoria wasn't the driest of environments. The original insulation was removed about 1987, but a lot of damage had already been done. Those rust colored carbuncles on the firebox wrapper sheet used to be flexible staybolt caps. If the experience they have had in New Orleans is any indication, Grapevine had better get ready to invest three times what they have budgeted. |
|
| Author: | Tim Gautreaux [ Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
I'm familiar with both the 745 and the 771 and the New Orleans engine was in significantly worse condition. Nowadays, what you start with is relatively unimportant because it ALL has to be done, staybolts, firebox, flue sheets, frame, running gear. The New Orleans engine was worn to a nub by severe vandalism plus daily rain showers since 1953 while it sweated in Audubon Park, 400 yards from the Mississippi River. And now it's back in steam. If the 745 can be made to run, just about any raggedy park engine can be brought back. For $300,000? No, but if 771's firebox is passable, maybe $500,000. Until the ultrasound, no one will know. Last time I saw 771 she still had some original gauges. 745's where bludgeoned apart for scrap in the 1950's. runner@i-55.com |
|
| Author: | Richard Glueck [ Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:16 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: SP 771 condition |
I inspected the 771 in Victoria, back about 3 years ago, and I can assure you that it was in much better external condition that 95% of the park locomotives I've seen. Obviously, internal inspection will make a world of difference in the evaluation, but she was far from hopeless. Does anyone have a current picture of her since the move, or during the move? Incidently, the park where she was displayed was connected to a school for behaviourally impaired kids, yet the locomotive suffered very little vandalism. I have some nice shots of her in the park. glueck@maine.edu |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|