Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Railway + Industry Museums as Tourist Attractions
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9438
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Tom Cornillie [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Railway + Industry Museums as Tourist Attractions

Hello all,

In building the case for the Altoona Roundhouse, I am looking for articles and other information that discusses how railroad museums and industry museums have generated tourism income for the communities they are located in. I am particularly interested in museums similar to the Baltimore Museum of Industry, which has living history exhibits. I am not looking for information on tourist railroads, as they would be very dissimilar from any preservation that would occur at the Altoona Roundhouse.

Linked below is a useful article from the USA today.

Even if the Altoona roundhouse is demolished, this research will not be lost. Most of the research and arguments I present on the website can be used to build the case for preserving other roundhouse and shop sites. I plan on posting a website that will do just that in a month or so.

Many thanks,
Tom

Visit my site at: http://www.altoonaroundhousemuseum.org


Putting Life back into Living History
altoonaroundhouse@umich.edu

Author:  jimwrinn [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railway + Industry Museums as Tourist Attracti

Tom, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. has some good data on the multiplier effect from tourism jobs and spending. We used it many years ago in the "Building on the Past" campiagn for the Roundhouse...gulp... was that really a decade ago?? Jim

http://nctrans.org
Wrinnbo@aol.com

Author:  Superheater [ Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Railway + Industry Museums as Tourist Attracti

> Tom, Steamtown has ab economic impact study on its website (the current problems not withstanding)

superheater@rrmail.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/