Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

LIMA A-1 2-8-4
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9607
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Steve Gilbert [ Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 pm ]
Post subject:  LIMA A-1 2-8-4

Has the story of the travels of the Lima "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4, A-1, ever been told in magazine or book form?
Or maybe a Historical Society publication ???
I would like to know what RR's here in the Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
Pictures would be icing on the cake.
Any leads, Thanks.
SG

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

If you are so inclined, and have deep pockets, get yourself a copy of Eric Hirsimaki's book "LIMA: The History". It will run you about $250.00 for a copy, but if inquiring minds want to know..it has a price!

BTW there is one for sale right now on Abebooks.com

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Fri May 07, 2004 9:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

Oh, and if your pockets are quite that deep, you can read this synopsis for free
http://home.att.net/~barrwp/limaa1.htm

LIMA A-1

Author:  Superheater [ Fri May 07, 2004 10:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

Steve, I have a book (I'll be picking up this weekend-title escapes me at the moment), by a guy named S Kip Farrington, who apparently had the time and enough of the gift of gab to get cab rides all over the country from the 30's to the 50's and I'm pretty sure there's a mention of the A-1 on the Lehigh Valley.

I'll post the details this weekend.



Superheater@rrmail.com

Author:  Superheater [ Fri May 07, 2004 10:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

> Steve, I have a book (I'll be picking up
> this weekend-title escapes me at the
> moment), by a guy named S Kip Farrington,
> who apparently had the time and enough of
> the gift of gab to get cab rides all over
> the country from the 30's to the 50's and
> I'm pretty sure there's a mention of the A-1
> on the Lehigh Valley.

> I'll post the details this weekend.

Dagnabbit: Railroading Coast to Coast Riding the Locomotive Cabs: Steam Diesel and Electric 1923-1950

Link to Book
Superheater@rrmail.com

Author:  Todd Mullens [ Sat May 08, 2004 6:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

If you can find a copy, the 1966 "Super Power Steam Locomotives" by Richard J. Cook (Golden West Books) has about ten pages devoted to the Lima A-1.

Todd


TKMSMullens@wmconnect.com

Author:  Joshua K. Blay [ Sat May 08, 2004 9:49 am ]
Post subject:  What happened to A-1? N/M

N/M

Author:  Superheater [ Sat May 08, 2004 10:00 am ]
Post subject:  Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m* *NM*

superheater@rrmail.com

Author:  Don Wirth [ Sat May 08, 2004 11:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

I thought it ended up on the Illinois Central. I don't think the NP ever had any 2-8-4s. At any rate, she was scrapped by someone.

frisco1522@sbcglobal.net

Author:  Mark D. [ Sat May 08, 2004 12:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

I have a book written in the form of a historical novel, only it's a little short for a novel. It goes through the design and building of the A-1 and its first trips in service. Naturally, I can't recall the name right off hand and I believe it's still packed in boxes from when I moved four years ago. But now you've got my attention so I'll try to find it when I get home from work tonight.
Just added at the end...My recollection of the title is that it is "SUPERPOWER." I think it was written more for kids, but somehow I wound up with it. The interesting thing is that it stays with the facts very well. Kind of makes history come alive.
Mark D.

Author:  Don C. [ Sat May 08, 2004 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Illinois Central 7050 then 8049

> I have a book written in the form of a
> historical novel, only it's a little short
> for a novel. It goes through the design and
> building of the A-1 and its first trips in
> service. Naturally, I can't recall the name
> right off hand and I believe it's still
> packed in boxes from when I moved four years
> ago. But now you've got my attention so I'll
> try to find it when I get home from work
> tonight.
> Just added at the end...My recollection of
> the title is that it is
> "SUPERPOWER." I think it was
> written more for kids, but somehow I wound
> up with it. The interesting thing is that it
> stays with the facts very well. Kind of
> makes history come alive.
> Mark D.

A-1 was sold to the Illinois Central and became their 7050. At some later time in her life she was rebuilt by the IC and renumbered 8049. During the rebuild she lost the Elesco feedwater heater on her brow and the bell on her left "cheek". Prior to the rebuild of the class they had a T&Pish appearance, but after the rebuild they were all "IC" in their looks. There is a photo of her as IC 8049 on page 92 of "Super Power Steam Locomotives" by Richard J. Cook.

Don C.


milw261@sbcglobal.net

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Sat May 08, 2004 4:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m*

Superheater, are you sure you weren't thinking of Timken's 4 aces?

Author:  Superheater@rrmail.com [ Sat May 08, 2004 10:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m*

> Superheater, are you sure you weren't
> thinking of Timken's 4 aces?

Now that you mention it!!! Yeppir! I confused engines!

superheater@rrmail.com

Author:  D WIlkinson [ Sun May 09, 2004 2:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2-8-4 Book "Superpower"

The book is called "Superpower: The Making of a Steam Locomotive" by David Weitzman. It has some excellent illustrations. I have a copy, but I didn't realize it related to this discussion until just now!

davew833@yahoo.com

Author:  Wowak [ Sun May 09, 2004 8:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4

I recall back in the 90s when Lionel released a model of their 2-8-4 post-war style Berksire decorated as "The Four Aces", Classic Toy Trains ran a one-page history of the prototype to supplement their review of the Lionel model.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/