It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:41 pm 

Has the story of the travels of the Lima "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4, A-1, ever been told in magazine or book form?
Or maybe a Historical Society publication ???
I would like to know what RR's here in the Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
Pictures would be icing on the cake.
Any leads, Thanks.
SG


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 pm 

If you are so inclined, and have deep pockets, get yourself a copy of Eric Hirsimaki's book "LIMA: The History". It will run you about $250.00 for a copy, but if inquiring minds want to know..it has a price!

BTW there is one for sale right now on Abebooks.com

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:00 pm 

Oh, and if your pockets are quite that deep, you can read this synopsis for free
http://home.att.net/~barrwp/limaa1.htm

LIMA A-1


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:08 pm 

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

Steve, I have a book (I'll be picking up this weekend-title escapes me at the moment), by a guy named S Kip Farrington, who apparently had the time and enough of the gift of gab to get cab rides all over the country from the 30's to the 50's and I'm pretty sure there's a mention of the A-1 on the Lehigh Valley.

I'll post the details this weekend.



Superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:14 pm 

> Steve, I have a book (I'll be picking up
> this weekend-title escapes me at the
> moment), by a guy named S Kip Farrington,
> who apparently had the time and enough of
> the gift of gab to get cab rides all over
> the country from the 30's to the 50's and
> I'm pretty sure there's a mention of the A-1
> on the Lehigh Valley.

> I'll post the details this weekend.

Dagnabbit: Railroading Coast to Coast Riding the Locomotive Cabs: Steam Diesel and Electric 1923-1950

Link to Book
Superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:49 am 

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

If you can find a copy, the 1966 "Super Power Steam Locomotives" by Richard J. Cook (Golden West Books) has about ten pages devoted to the Lima A-1.

Todd


TKMSMullens@wmconnect.com


  
 
 Post subject: What happened to A-1? N/M
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:49 am 

N/M


  
 
 Post subject: Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m* *NM*
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:00 am 

superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:18 am 

I thought it ended up on the Illinois Central. I don't think the NP ever had any 2-8-4s. At any rate, she was scrapped by someone.

frisco1522@sbcglobal.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:38 pm 

> Has the story of the travels of the Lima
> "superpower" demonstrator 2-8-4,
> A-1, ever been told in magazine or book
> form?
> Or maybe a Historical Society publication
> ???
> I would like to know what RR's here in the
> Northeast the A-1 travelled or was tried on.
> Pictures would be icing on the cake.
> Any leads, Thanks.
> SG

I have a book written in the form of a historical novel, only it's a little short for a novel. It goes through the design and building of the A-1 and its first trips in service. Naturally, I can't recall the name right off hand and I believe it's still packed in boxes from when I moved four years ago. But now you've got my attention so I'll try to find it when I get home from work tonight.
Just added at the end...My recollection of the title is that it is "SUPERPOWER." I think it was written more for kids, but somehow I wound up with it. The interesting thing is that it stays with the facts very well. Kind of makes history come alive.
Mark D.


  
 
 Post subject: Illinois Central 7050 then 8049
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:28 pm 

> I have a book written in the form of a
> historical novel, only it's a little short
> for a novel. It goes through the design and
> building of the A-1 and its first trips in
> service. Naturally, I can't recall the name
> right off hand and I believe it's still
> packed in boxes from when I moved four years
> ago. But now you've got my attention so I'll
> try to find it when I get home from work
> tonight.
> Just added at the end...My recollection of
> the title is that it is
> "SUPERPOWER." I think it was
> written more for kids, but somehow I wound
> up with it. The interesting thing is that it
> stays with the facts very well. Kind of
> makes history come alive.
> Mark D.

A-1 was sold to the Illinois Central and became their 7050. At some later time in her life she was rebuilt by the IC and renumbered 8049. During the rebuild she lost the Elesco feedwater heater on her brow and the bell on her left "cheek". Prior to the rebuild of the class they had a T&Pish appearance, but after the rebuild they were all "IC" in their looks. There is a photo of her as IC 8049 on page 92 of "Super Power Steam Locomotives" by Richard J. Cook.

Don C.


milw261@sbcglobal.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m*
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:09 pm 

Superheater, are you sure you weren't thinking of Timken's 4 aces?


  
 
 Post subject: Re: Went Northern Pacific/Scrapped *N/m*
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:33 pm 

> Superheater, are you sure you weren't
> thinking of Timken's 4 aces?

Now that you mention it!!! Yeppir! I confused engines!

superheater@rrmail.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2-8-4 Book "Superpower"
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:45 am 

The book is called "Superpower: The Making of a Steam Locomotive" by David Weitzman. It has some excellent illustrations. I have a copy, but I didn't realize it related to this discussion until just now!

davew833@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: LIMA A-1 2-8-4
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:01 pm 

I recall back in the 90s when Lionel released a model of their 2-8-4 post-war style Berksire decorated as "The Four Aces", Classic Toy Trains ran a one-page history of the prototype to supplement their review of the Lionel model.


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: