Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Khyber Pass railway
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9622
Page 1 of 1

Author:  George Kaplan [ Sun May 09, 2004 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Khyber Pass railway

I recently bought a 1920s vintage brochure on the NWR line to the Khyber Pass. The subject of a colonial rail line built to the very frontier of Afghanistan is exotic and fascinating. Thumbing through the folder, the photos of the line reminded me of rugged terrain somewhat similar to Carriso Gorge.
I did an Internet search and found the link below on Railways in Pakistan. A trip report is included in the link which mentions a once-a-month steam trip to the Khyber Pass. I wonder if it still operates.
Although the railways in Pakistan traditionally used British equipment, I've read that the Alco World-class diesels (similar to an FA) were sold and operated there.
On a related note, I have read a book and article about railways in Iran. There are equally rugged rail lines built in that country. What particularly fascinates me is the line which linked Iran to Russia during WW II. Bob Richardson of Colorado Railroad Museum fame served there during WW II and writes about his experiences in one of his books. I've wondered how those early Lend-Lease Alco diesels fared in that climate and terrain.

Pakistan Rail

Author:  John West [ Sun May 09, 2004 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Khyber Pass railway

For the adventurous Peter Patt of Globe Steam Tours is advertizing a railfan trip over the Khyber.

Globe Steam Tours

Author:  J.F. Andrist [ Mon May 10, 2004 11:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Khyber Pass railway

- For info on Pakistan Railways and links:
paskistanrailways@yahoogroups.com
- The tours are basically organised by a Peshawar operator called Sehrai Travels .
- Nowhere could I find any date for 2004, but the train did run in 2003.
- If you really want to know I can call someone in Karachi and he will find out (more reliable than the net). When not with a railtour group it's a long way to Peshawar to find out that the -monthly at best - run has been cancelled for some reason or the other.
- Re Pakistan: alcophiles probably know that the whole traffic in Baluchistan (from Sibi towards Quetta through the Bolan pass and the lines to Zahedan (Iran) + Chaman (Afghan border) is run with (remotorised) 1950's Alco; see http://alcoworld.railfan.net/pakistan.htm.
- Both the Khyber and Bolan passes are really interesting places for rail and history enthusiasts. Permits are needed for both areas. It is not destinations I would recommend right now to any US or UK citizen! Even I from 'old Europe' would probably go to the Khyber (the train is always guarded by about 20 soldiers from the Khyber Riffles), but not to Baluchistan
(we had two armed guards when we went around some the rail lines there in 99 and I do not think we would be allowed around nowadays, though the one train a week Quetta-Zahedan line (2 days out 2 days back) is still on the 'to do' list!
Regards
JFA
Dubai

jfandrist@bluewin.ch

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/