It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:35 pm 

I am trying to return an Ingersoll Rand 3R air hammer to service. Everything is in good shape, yet it will not run. I am guessing it's missing an internal part.....So, if anyone out there has a schematic for one of these things I'd love to see it.
Thanks for any help

jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:19 pm 

Have you had the whole thing apart and cleaned all the gum and crud out of it??? How much oil did you put in there???? More is NOT better, usually. What actually happens when the air is hooked up and you squeeze the trigger???

drotarinoh@webtv.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:37 pm 

it was cleaned, if the tool is fully inserted nothing happens.....if it is around 1/4" out it will run, but very slowly and with no force.

jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:53 am 

How much air pressure do you have on it and do you have enough air volume going into it? A larger sized hose to increase the volume may help. I repaired an old jack hammer recently. Increasing the hose size made a world of difference.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:08 pm 

You need to have at least 75lbs of air pressure to operate that hammer with at least 30 to 50 cfm air flow to make it operate. If its doing what you said then it doesnt have engough pressure or flow. Also make sure the piston is clean and that the spring is good.

johndeck@cox.net


  
 
 Post subject: Just maybe...
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:53 pm 

You and I had the same problem. I tired to make one run, and it did the exact same thing. I gave up on it and returned it to it's owner. Earlier this year I was helping some one else with a riviting job and they pulled out a nearly identical gun and had the same problem. The difference was they looked down the barrel, and then turned and went straight to the tool cabniet and grabed a box of "pistons" slid one down the barrel, put in the snap and it did what it was supposed to do. I think it was an IR but I am not sure and I haven't heard any one else mention removable pistons before or since.....
any way your symptoms sure sound like that.



btrue@vt.edu


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:29 am 

It is operating @ 100psi.....5/8" hose with 1/2" quick disconnect.

jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:07 am 

Dear Jacob:
You say that the gun was cleaned. Was it totally dissassembled? To me, it sounds as if the "shuttle" valve is dirty or gummed up. The "shuttle" valve should not be confused with the operating valve in the handle. The "shuttle" valve directs air first to one end of the piston and then to the other. Depending on the age of your gun, the "shuttle" valve could be a small disk about the size of a dime or a cylindrical cage with a series of holes. I either case they must be perfectly clean and free to move. The shuttle valve is inside the gun, to access it remove the clip (don't loose the dowel pin) and unscrew the handle from the barrel. Once this is done you can see what type of "shuttle" valve the gun has and you can remove it for cleaning (and facilitate the cleaning of the internal air passages as well). Once the internal parts are clean and moving freely, reassemble the gun. The handle ought to be screwed snugly on the barrel so that the dowel pin will line up with one of the internal notches in the ring with all the teeth which engage with the teeth on the handle. You don't want to over tighten to make everything line up, just snug, then put the clip(s) back on.
As mentioned in another posting, a piston that fits better might help. With the gun disconnected from air (IMPORTANT!), try the various pistons in your collection in the barrel. Lightly oiled, they should gently slide/float down the length of the bore both ways with the trigger pulled and the gun vertical. You shouldn't have to whack the gun on the floor to get the piston to drop out. The piston must be absolutely free of nicks and burrs. The bore too must be smooth. An automotive brake cylinder hone can be used to clean up a scored bore.
Good luck!
J.David


jdconrad@snet.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:40 am 

> It is operating @ 100psi.....5/8" hose
> with 1/2" quick disconnect.

5/8" hose is not very big for an air hammer.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:25 pm 

We use 3/4 to 1 inch hose with our units. I have been looking to see if I have any info on that model hammer but havent found any in the files yet. IR should be able to come up with something thru their customer service.

johndeck@cox.net


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:16 pm 

> I am trying to return an Ingersoll Rand 3R
> air hammer to service. Everything is in good
> shape, yet it will not run. I am guessing
> it's missing an internal part.....So, if
> anyone out there has a schematic for one of
> these things I'd love to see it.
> Thanks for any help
dear jason is this a chipping hammer or a riveter? what is bore of tool end? what state do yopu live in? I have a list of ir.service and repair shops. i can send the details of the closest one to you. btw a 1/2" hose is good for a chipping hammer but a large riveter should be 3/4" and i like to use 1" on my big rivet busters. that is all bb.


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:31 pm 

On this perticular model the handle and the barrel are joined by two bolts. The shuttle valve was a solid mass before I cleaned the gun. This shuttle valve is about the sixe of a nickle in dia., four holes in the "disc", and multiple holes in the shaft under the disc. The piston is in perfect shape, smooth bore, and slides gently from one end of the barrel to the other.
Any other suggestions?


jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:33 pm 

It is a .680 bore.....I live in Savannah, GA. A list of IR repair centers would be most helpful....thank you.

jasonsobczynski@yahoo.com


  
 
 Post subject: Re: ingersoll rand air hammers
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:54 pm 

> It is a .680 bore.....I live in Savannah,
> GA. A list of IR repair centers would be
> most helpful....thank you.
at .680 its a chipping hammer. for ir service try tool service co. in atlanta 404 524-4229tel or fax 404 688-6354 . or ir tool help 1-800-866-5457 good luck. advise what repairs were needed when you get it fixed. regards bb


  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: