Railway Preservation News
https://www.rypn.org/forums/

Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9653
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Dave K [ Thu May 13, 2004 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

Does anyone have any direct experience with using nylon tubing as a substitute for copper in Schedule 26 locomotive brake systems? In particular, I am speaking of replacing copper sized 5/8" and smaller with nylon.

I have quite a bit of data from folks involved with the two loco builders and various railroads.

However, I'd like to hear what some of you folks might have to say on the subject.

Spepcifically, I am concerned with the following issues: a) ease of installation b) cost c) long term durability and so on.

In closing, I swish the make the following point:
The group I am working with is a restoring a LOCOMOTIVE to reflect an accurate external appearance at a given point in the items' history and b) to make this locomotive operate.

In terms of b), we are open (and have already done so) to the use of the most modern materials and systems available. In order to make progress,
compromise in some areas is a necessary evil.



newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net

Author:  Steam REalist [ Thu May 13, 2004 4:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

> Does anyone have any direct experience with
> using nylon tubing as a substitute for
> copper in Schedule 26 locomotive brake
> systems? In particular, I am speaking of
> replacing copper sized 5/8" and smaller
> with nylon.

> I have quite a bit of data from folks
> involved with the two loco builders and
> various railroads.

> However, I'd like to hear what some of you
> folks might have to say on the subject.

> Spepcifically, I am concerned with the
> following issues: a) ease of installation b)
> cost c) long term durability and so on.

> In closing, I swish the make the following
> point:
> The group I am working with is a restoring a
> LOCOMOTIVE to reflect an accurate external
> appearance at a given point in the items'
> history and b) to make this locomotive
> operate.

> In terms of b), we are open (and have
> already done so) to the use of the most
> modern materials and systems available. In
> order to make progress,
> compromise in some areas is a necessary
> evil.

Assuming it's a diesel, there shouldn't be any problems, as long as you keep the lines away from excessive heat sources, use an air dryer, and/or route the lines so there are no dips or low spots where moisture can collect and freeze.

Both GE and EMD have been using vinyl/nylon air brake tubing on their 26L, 30ACDW and Epic systems for several years now.

Author:  Jack A. Siffert [ Thu May 13, 2004 5:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

And don't forget to keep away from Rub points.
I wouldn't use anything else. I use D.O.T. approved. Heat and freeze range is more than enough. As for speed and ease there's no compairision. One little tip is spend the extra 8.00 dollars for the special cutter. Crooked cuts leak. If you really want ease go with the press to lock versions. cut stuff it in and give a tug to make sure it seated and you're done. Most even have the teflon preapplied.

irss@eriecoast.com

Author:  E.B. Levin [ Thu May 13, 2004 6:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

DOT nylon is the way to go....We use stainless steel clamps that have a rubber liner to secure the tubing. The clamps are available in the McMaster catalog. Juniata Terminal 5711 and 5809 are having unitized 26L equipment applied in the fall when the 24RL dates blow up.

EBL

Eric.Levin@Conrail.com

Author:  Jack A. Siffert [ Fri May 14, 2004 4:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

Oh But 24rl is the best air brake system known to man! Just ask the guy who owns the E-unit on our line. (an engineer by trade,and not a locomotive one) I would love to rip it out and convert to 26!


irss@eriecoast.com

Author:  E.B. Levin [ Fri May 14, 2004 7:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

Running a passenger train at speed or in mountain territory with 24RL is one of lifes great pleasures....It just got to the point where its too expensive to clean vs 26 reliability. Changing also simplifys our Cab Signal/Locomotive Speed Limiter interface with the brake system

Eric.Levin@Conrail.com

Author:  Dave K [ Fri May 14, 2004 7:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

Gentlemen, thank you for your input.

The job I was inquiring about actually involved the replacement of a moribund (and incomplete) 24RL system with 26 equipment. The "issue" was the fact that the locomotive in question was a 1947-built carbody type unit. Some folks within our group apparently thought this modification to be sacrilege when first proposed. Of course, none of them were air brake techs !!!

I would have preferred to have taken the unitized approach, but the material was not available at reasonable cost. So, I purchased RTO air brake portions and pipe brackets, built some brackets to hang the portions-and that was that.

If I ever repeat this job, I would dispense with most of the hard piping on the larger pipe sizes
(3/4" and up) and use a suitable grade of armored flex hose.

> Oh But 24rl is the best air brake system
> known to man! Just ask the guy who owns the
> E-unit on our line. (an engineer by
> trade,and not a locomotive one) I would love
> to rip it out and convert to 26!


newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net

Author:  Jack A.Siffert [ Fri May 14, 2004 2:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Nylon Tubing Applications: 26 Brake Systems

Actually we use 1" & 3/4" plastic in remote control brake pipe appilcation (reduction) lines from the remote cab's to the locomotive on class 1 locomotives.

irss@eriecoast.com

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/