| Railway Preservation News https://www.rypn.org/forums/ |
|
| Tourist Roads -- Take Advantage of Terror Scare
https://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9734 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Rob Davis [ Fri May 21, 2004 8:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | Tourist Roads -- Take Advantage of Terror Scare |
I must admit, I have been thinking about this for some time, and I am prompted to write it now by this morning's ABC New York warning that "if you are near a train and have a camera, put it away and move on." It is a GREAT time for tourist roads to market photo freights and other railfan events this summer. Especially here in the east, where the political conventions are causing even more examination of rail transit (since both are to be held above rail depots), it seems to be the perfect to time to market "welcome" railfanning. I doubt my railfanning habits will change when I am alone or with buddies, but for outings with my son, I'd rather not have run-ins with authorities to explain Daddy's hobby. (I've already had my share of post 9/11 questioning while trackside.) Like all things political, the terror scares will pass, but until then they color our society. If you can offer an alternative and support your road, it's not a bad time to step up. Rob trains@robertjohndavis.com |
|
| Author: | Art Miller [ Fri May 21, 2004 8:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | Support Your Road |
> ...and support your road... Respectfully, might I ask you to explain that concept? "Support" in the political and economic senses usually involves costs. But is also has a benefit side. Might you provide some boundaries and examples? amiller@rtms-movietrains.com |
|
| Author: | Ray Reter [ Fri May 21, 2004 4:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Support Your Road |
One way to support a favorite tourist line would be to buy a ticket to ride! While it's fun to chase and photograph equipment on a tourist line, this activity does not financially support the line. And buying lunch at the railroad's cafe would be a nice gesture, too! -- Ray > > ...and support your road... > Respectfully, might I ask you to explain > that concept? > "Support" in the political and > economic senses usually involves costs. But > is also has a benefit side. Might you > provide some boundaries and examples? raymondreter@aol.com |
|
| Author: | Dave Crosby [ Fri May 21, 2004 7:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Ray's got a good point... |
We all pretty much know that buying a ticket is the "right" thing to do. I can't think of a tourist train that I've chased that I haven't ridden at least once(twice, three times). Its the other add ons that can be a real help. Buy the souveniers, lunch at the depot etc... Dave Crosby bing@epix.net |
|
| Author: | Art Miller [ Fri May 21, 2004 10:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Oops! |
I did not realize your comment related to a tourist or museum railroad. Yes! By all means, my home road (TVRM) and everybody else needs patronage, gift shop purchases, etc. I sincerely apologise for my dense-ness. Actually, what crossed my mind were the several dozen or so folks I have come across who actually believed that they were doing economic for one of my employers (TN Southern; W≤ G&M;CGSR) by photographing our operations, train-chasing, and other railfan activities. (What I really needed was some good market intel about what the darn truckers were doing at the places the railfans worked!) amiller@rtms-movietrains.com |
|
| Author: | Art M [ Sat May 22, 2004 5:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Oops! (Corrected) |
My apologies for the unreadability of the original post. Corrections included below. A senior moment? > I did not realize your comment related to a > tourist or museum railroad. Yes! By all > means, my home road (TVRM) and everybody > else needs patronage, gift shop purchases, > etc. > I sincerely apologise for my dense-ness. > Actually, what crossed my mind were the > several dozen or so folks I have come across > who truly believed that their railfanning activities -- photographing train operations, train chasing -- provided a meaningful > economic benefit to, or enhanced the business performance of, my railroad employer of the time. What I really > needed was some good market intel about what > the darn truckers were doing at the companies where > the railfans worked. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|